PDA

View Full Version : How should I change my current ways?

balefire
09-27-2007, 06:14 AM
So I finally found this forum, read the FAQ, lots of posts, and realized that alot of what I`m doing is probably wrong and inefficient. Here`s what I currently do:

Wash (Meguiars soap and meguiars wash mitt)

Dry (Blow dryer and leather chamois)

Meguiars cleaner wax applied w/ a cheap PepBoys $30 orbital buffer

I also wash my waxing and buffing pads in the laundry each time I use it.

I`m afraid to claybar since I`ve never seen anyone do it, and I never have. Is it an absolute must?

Is my cheap orbital buffer doing damage? Is it better to do it by hand? (Eventually, I`ll get a PC, but in the meantime)

I`m willing to sacrifice shine for durability. But, if I don`t use a clay bar, should I continue using Meguiars cleaner wax or can I go ahead and use Meguiars NXT anyway.

I`m also a lot busier (family, work, etc) than I used to be, and I feel too guilty giving up a whole weekend day to detailing. Can you guys give me tips on what I should change so I can detail my car in the shortest time possible, the autopian way? Thanks!

Paul

just beginning to see the autopian light

jshillin
09-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Just go get a clay bar, it`s so simple, as long as it slides easy you are you are fine. Don`t drop it on the ground and kneed it often. Never used a cheap orbital so I don`t know about about it.

ericgl
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Clay bar is pretty much a must for clear coat finishes. It is really simple and pretty quick so don`t be shy.

So much depends on the current condition of your paint, but after clar bar I`d probably use some type of paint cleaner before sealing.

I`ve been using NXT for a while and don`t find it particularly long lasting YMMV.

I would probably try to follow as a minimum:

Wash using the 2 bucket method - weekly.

Clay bar - quarterly.

Wax - quarterly or earlier if it appears it needs it.

Clean paint - twice a year.

widyhs
10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Clay bar is an absolute must to prep your surface for better adhesion of sealant. The ones from Pep Boys are OK but there just isnt enough speed compared to PC. It shoudl work better than hand though.

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Eh, you could do worse than that regimen, IMO. Run your hand over the surface of your (clean) finish and see if it feels very smooth. If it`s bumpy, or otherwise rough/draggy feeling, the clay wouldn`t be a bad idea. It`s really rather simple, just use basically no pressure, gliding it across the surface. The Meg`s cleaner wax is actually rather good, it will just stain your trim and get stuck in all the crevices.

imported_JoshVette
10-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Paul, as suggested above, two bucket washing is a must as well as claybaring then you`re ready to seal or wax. With NXT you`ll need to wax about once a month.

Claybaring is really not difficult.

Check out my website, it`s my homepage, I have a complete section teaching proper car care techniques. Click on my PROCEDURE page and click on the pdf file, it will have step by step directions for claybaring and two bucket washing and all of this for you.:2thumbs:

Just fyi.

Josh

Black240SX
10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
I`m afraid to claybar since I`ve never seen anyone do it, and I never have.

lol, you`ll laugh at how easy it is.