PDA

View Full Version : how to remove dust?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sahiwal007
09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
hey i just got my G37 black on black, and i was wondering how can i remove the dust without swirling up my car? any techniques?

thanks alot :)

Accumulator
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
sahiwal007- Welcome to Autopia!

Before anybody gives you their technique for getting the dust off, I`ll offer the ultra-conservative version: wash the car. I know that`s not what you want to hear :o but I simply don`t touch my paint between washes because I`ve always inflicted some degree of marring whenever I did it :nixweiss

Now I`ll let somebody else say how CCDs/QDs/etc. work so great and how to use them without problems :D I`m just the voice of gloom and doom on this topic.

Old Pirate
09-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I totally agreed with Accumulator. And welcome to Autopia..........:usa

imported_smprince1
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
If you don`t want to break out the buckets and hose and it`s only light dust .... I suggest PB`s Spray and Wipe (remember wipe, don`t scrub)

doc-rice
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
One of the first rules of paint care is paranoia. So I agree with the others above in saying that washing the car is the most ideal. Especially on a black car because 1) every paint defect created shows through in black and 2) there may be dark particles which you can`t see that you might accidentally drag along the paint during a QD wipe in addition to the dust.

bwalker25
09-26-2007, 05:04 PM
i have to say the safest thing with a black car is wash it :) but I use a QD on my silver car and it works great :)

sahiwal007
09-26-2007, 05:18 PM
`thanks guys! ill go with washing, im trying my best not to swirl my black car like i did to the last one lol, what are best washing tools, that i could buy without swirling up? and what are some drying methods without swirling? lol i hate swirls`

Adam's Polishes
09-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I`m gonna break from the norm here...

I use a cali car duster, very lightly, each day before my black TBSS leaves the garage, I follow that with some QD spray and a super plush mf polishing cloth very lightly over the areas the duster didn`t reach.

I always hear people condemn the car dusters, but like anything else, if used carefully I think your OK... this method has served me well for a long time now.

stiffdogg06
09-26-2007, 05:33 PM
You could always try ONR.

imported_themightytimmah
09-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Expensive, nice way: Foam lance -> DI water rinse with pressure washer

Cheap and dirty way : Foam gun, dry with electric leaf blower

Either way requires no contact and guarantees no swirling. There is no other approach which is guaranteed to be marring-free in less time.

ruttrow
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
You could always try ONR.

I agree. I used this for the first time over the weekend, I think it`s great stuff.

ONR= Optimum No Rinse

HansB
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I don`t like the Cali Duster, how is the Swissvax duster and fluid?

sahiwal007
09-30-2007, 01:09 AM
are all microfiber towels safe? meaning are they swirl proof free? i bought some microfiber towels made by turtle wax from autobarn, and also when quick detailing, what are some good ways to use the microfibe towels? should i go over the car gently? whats the techniqe? thanks

ricka
09-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I`m probably an over-QDer but use FC&S to remove light dust on metallic silver and it works great. As mentioned, wipe don`t scrub! No marring yet--that Audi paint is one tough mother.

Accumulator
09-30-2007, 01:02 PM
are all microfiber towels safe? meaning are they swirl proof free?

Test `em on the data side of a CD (see if they mar it).

IMO the problem usually isn`t the MF/etc. but rather the dust/dirt itself being abrasive.