PDA

View Full Version : Sorry...another "fresh paint" question.

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
So I just my GTO back from the shop and want some protection on the painted parts. Is Megs #5 the best product for this? Will it offer protection similar to a wax or sealant? I would be reapplying every wash just to ensure protection from water spots, bugs, and dirt.

Also, is a QD like the wolfgang spritz or maybe even megs UQD safe for fresh paint?

FInally, whats a good mild-medium polish that I can use by hand? I dont have a PC yet and the shop left marring from compounding on the new panels.

Thanks. :) ...it`s gonna be tough holding out `till christmas to wax the new fender and bumper lol

the other pc
09-26-2007, 03:05 PM
So I just my GTO back from the shop and want some protection on the painted parts. ...That’s not necessarily what’s best for the paint. What’s best for the paint is to let it cure fully.

... Is Megs #5 the best product for this? ...That would be an excellent choice.

... I would be reapplying every wash just to ensure protection from water spots, bugs, and dirt...Washing off contaminants is the best way to prevent damage during the initial cure.

...Also, is a QD like the wolfgang spritz or maybe even megs UQD safe for fresh paint...UQD is not intended for fresh paint. All of Meg’s other QD’s are OK. #34 would be ideal. I don’t know about Wolfgang.

...FInally, whats a good mild-medium polish that I can use by hand? I dont have a PC yet and the shop left marring from compounding on the new panels. ...The shop should make the panels right. It shouldn’t be up to you to fix their mistakes.

That said, if you don’t trust them, Meg’s #80 is good for fresh paint and has mild cut. It also leaves a small amount of protection. But It may be too mild to remove swirls by hand.

...it`s gonna be tough holding out `till christmas to wax the new fender and bumper lolI know it’s tough. Just keep reminding yourself that it’s better in the long run.

PC.

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
That’s not necessarily what’s best for the paint. What’s best for the paint is to let it cure fully.

That would be an excellent choice.

Washing off contaminants is the best way to prevent damage during the initial cure.

UQD is not intended for fresh paint. All of Meg’s other QD’s are OK. #34 would be ideal. I don’t know about Wolfgang.

The shop should make the panels right. It shouldn’t be up to you to fix their mistakes.

That said, if you don’t trust them, Meg’s #80 is good for fresh paint and has mild cut. It also leaves a small amount of protection. But It may be too mild to remove swirls by hand.

I know it’s tough. Just keep reminding yourself that it’s better in the long run.

PC.

Wow, thanks for the thorough explanation. I can wait to remove the marring, I dont expect them to be able to take care of it...you know how body shops are.(even though this was a high quality shop) If #5 is fine, I will order some now. I just need to know about the QD thing, since I like to use some when drying.

Accumulator
09-26-2007, 03:49 PM
..If #5 is fine, I will order some now. I just need to know about the QD thing, since I like to use some when drying.

Yeah, #5 is great, I`ve been using it for this application for over 30 years and it`s still my fave.

I`d use #34 for the QD while the paint is curing. Never caused any problems for me.

SuperBee364
09-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I have yet to see a body shop put out a paint finish that`s up to Autopian standards. Just gotta take the good advice given above, and tough it out til it`s nice and cured. Then take some before pictures, then some after pictures, and show them to the body shop that did the work.