PDA

View Full Version : Help me polish this turd

HeadnSouth
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Just got my UDM and here I am trying to make the best of a bad situation and learn a thing or two. This is a 92 325I that has some seriously scratched paint. So I`m just trying to make the best of it and get to know my UDM. As you can see in the pics of the trunk this is the shape of it and pretty much any horizontal surface everything else just is not as bad but never the less its not good either.

This is what I`ve done so far and was wondering if I can get it any better results or just be happy with what I have. The car was washed and the paint was fairly clean from previous hand polishing/waxing. My main objective is to get rid of some of the scratches.

I`m using an orange pad with Finesse (but also have polishing compound and rubbing). What else would you use? Or should I just be happy with what I have? I`m not expecting a showroom finish but I would like to see just how good it can be.

I tried to fill in the big scratches with a paint pen but most of the paint didn`t want to stay put while wet sanding with 2k grit.

No wax has been applied yet and I do have a some Klasse AIO and a cabinet full of your automotive brand waxes/cleaners and the yellow, white and blue pad.

Comments? Recommendations? Thx! The pics don`t really show the small scratches that can only be seen in the right light and angle.

2 before and 3 afters

imported_themightytimmah
09-25-2007, 03:05 PM
That car is just crying for Hi-Temp Extreme Cut on a 4" orange pad. I would follow that with a finishing polish like Finesse or Menzerna FPII, and finally a good glaze like RMG to hide what can`t be removed.

I would avoid Klasse AIO - it`s a great product, but it tends to highlight flaws. Try using a "heavy" paste wax (Collinite, FK Pink, One Grand Omega, Megs #26 come to mind) over the glaze. It won`t pass Autopian inspection, but 99% of people will turn their head and stare at the results.

HeadnSouth
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I`ll need to order those items so I think I`ll pack up and finish this job another time. Been at it a couple of hours already. :buffing:

What RMG? Its not listed in the secret decoder section.

Scottwax
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
RMG=Clearkote`s Red Machine Glaze

HeadnSouth
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks!^^

Couldn`t resist and don`t know when I`ll get back to this so I put on a coat of Liquid Glass for now.

HeadnSouth
09-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Been searching different suppliers for these products (clearkote & extreme glaze) but can`t find one that carries both of these products. Are there any other products that would work just as well or is there a supplier who carries both of these products?

From what I understand there are different glazes for diff. colors. I have a 3M glaze but its for dark colors. Would a 3M hand glaze work just as well?

imported_themightytimmah
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
You could try Top of the Line if you want to order everything in one place - Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com) get:

Hi-temp`s extreme cut

Menzerna FPII or Hi-Temp Smooth Cut

One Grand Omega Glaze (it`ll do in place of RMG)

HeadnSouth
09-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks! Any opinions on AutoMagic products in lieu of what you mentioned? I can get them locally.

imported_themightytimmah
09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Automagic is good, but I don`t know their line at all. PM David Fermani , he`s a longtime AM user.

HeadnSouth
09-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks! :urock:

VTechFan02
09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
It looks like your getting decent results with what you have. I might jump up to a yellow pad once or twice and see were you are and then finish out with a good final polish and the white. Quite noticeable difference already though...those scratches looked very deep.

-Frank

HeadnSouth
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks, its is a marked improvement but it took some time to remove those scratch`s and there are still a few others in the doors/panels.

You pro`s don`t do this day in day do you?? Damn between my hands and back I think being a plumber is easier. :D

HeadnSouth
09-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Any 3M products that would do the job like those recommended?

HeadnSouth
09-29-2007, 06:13 AM
^bump

:think: anybody?