PDA

View Full Version : Side Moldings/Skirts Safe to Wax?

My5ABaby
09-25-2007, 07:26 AM
I have side moldings/skirts on my car (seen below circled in red) and I was wondering if they were waxable. I`m assuming the moldings aren`t but the skirts are, but I want to be sure before I go waxing away.

If it matters I`m going to be using Collinite 476s. The first two cars pictured I found via Google and the third is mine. The moldings appear to be plastic that isn`t painted.

Also, if they (or one) is not safe to wax, I`d just use a plastic protectant of some sort, correct? I have 303 Aerospace that I just picked up for my interior but it appears to work for everything short of paint.

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2007, 07:32 AM
The skirts should be painted the same as the body, and the moldings appear to be as well on that yellow car. If they are smooth/shiny, wax away. If they are not smooth/shiny, Collinite 845 should still work on them if they are not too porous. Not sure about the 476. Generally speaking, you can wax right over all that stuff if you are using pure waxes like the Collinites mentioned, just keep it thin and wipe it off promptly. If there is any doubt, try it on a small section first.

My5ABaby
09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
The skirts should be painted the same as the body, and the moldings appear to be as well on that yellow car. If they are smooth/shiny, wax away. If they are not smooth/shiny, Collinite 845 should still work on them if they are not too porous. Not sure about the 476. Generally speaking, you can wax right over all that stuff if you are using pure waxes like the Collinites mentioned, just keep it thin and wipe it off promptly. If there is any doubt, try it on a small section first.

Excellent, that`s exactly what I wanted to hear. That makes my life a lot simpler than having to tape them off or something. :D