PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s Back To Black not working

cjv998
09-23-2007, 12:49 PM
My `92 Accord has a lot of black trim, and I used Mother`s Back to Black on it back in March or April. Anyway, now my trim is "back to stained, faded, and dull". I admittedly haven`t maintained it too well lately, but still, I expected more permanent results than that. I made sure to work the product in to the trim, and let it sit on there for a while before I wiped it clean. I also followed up with some trim protectant (I think it was STP, but don`t quote me on that...it`s just what I had available at the time). After I was done, the trim did seem quite a bit better-looking, but now it`s back to how it was before I used the product. I`d rather not purchase a new product, since I plan on selling the Accord in the next year, and upgrading to something with less trim (I really want an `05-06 Arctic Blue Pearl RSX Type-S, but that`s a whole `nother topic). So I guess my question is: should I be expecting better results than I got with the product, or are my results pretty typical for Back to Black? Maybe I just need to go over the trim a few more times with it?

brn agn
09-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Hello from a former Rolla guy!

97-newer Jeep Wranglers have issues with the flares fading. I used to own one and I used Back to Black on it. I had to reapply it every 3 months or so. I think the results you are seeing is normal, but I will be interested to see other`s responses.

Cleaning Fool
09-23-2007, 02:27 PM
When I tested Back to black on my Volvo`s faded trim I was unimpressed to say the least with this product.. Awful....I threw it out..What I found to work great on faded trim is black liquid shoe polish from the drug store...Works like a charm and only about 3 bucks for a bottle

DantheMan
09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I`ve never used it to maintain good looking trim, but bought it trying to do a little restoration on some older trim that was a little faded and starting to turn brown. I think they should rename it `Back to Black until it dries`. Because it did nothing to bring the trim back. On the trim that was in decent shape, it looked okay, but no better than any other dressing, and sure didn`t last any longer..

Does the shoe polish wash away after a while (run down the paint and streak?), or is it a semi-permanent solution?

Dailyshine
09-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I`ve tried Back to Black and wasn`t impressed by it either. It seemed to run when it got wet and just didn`t seem to last long.

I`ve been using Megs Natural Shine for some time and it worked out better than Back to Black for me. I haven`t gotten around to trying other products, but for me it has performed well. Only complaint is that it drips out of the bottle easily, but I could just have a bum bottle :nixweiss

Cleaning Fool
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Shoe polish last quite a while for me, usually a year sometimes 2 years. When I apply I just make sure the trim is squeeky clean so I get a good bond and keep a towel handy in case it drips. I just use the foam applicator at the top of the bottle and go around the car. I have no streaking issues, just make sure you do it in shade. Works better than anything I have tried, been using it for years.

stiffdogg06
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a few recommendations.

303 aerospace protectant.

Black Wow.

Hi-Temps Bumper and Molding Renew

I would def by some GR-40 from top of the line.com. One of the best trim/molding cleaner; and then apply your protectant/dressing.

Jim D.
09-23-2007, 05:34 PM
From March or April to the end of September is a lot to ask of any product.

My experience with Back-to-Black has been generally excellent. It does have its limits, and it can`t bring back dead trim.

Results can vary quite a bit depending on the finish. Some of the black body side mouldings on a `92 Accord are rubber and some are painted -- so they will react differently to the product; and some can be so far neglected that you effectively have to dye them. (My sister has a `92 and I know your challenges.)

Back-to-Black does tend to require a light buffing after you let it penetrate so that it doesn`t run in the rain -- don`t apply it too thickly; or if you do, buff it lightly and it shouldn`t run.

And, like most products, it`s not an apply-once cure-all. Heed the directions which say to use it regularly (more regularly than every 6-7 months).

You wax your car more often than every 6-7 months, right? Apply Back-to-Black before every waxing and you should be fine.

cjv998
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Some of the black body side mouldings on a `92 Accord are rubber and some are painted -- so they will react differently to the product; and some can be so far neglected that you effectively have to dye them. (My sister has a `92 and I know your challenges.)

Back-to-Black does tend to require a light buffing after you let it penetrate so that it doesn`t run in the rain -- don`t apply it too thickly; or if you do, buff it lightly and it shouldn`t run.

And, like most products, it`s not an apply-once cure-all. Heed the directions which say to use it regularly (more regularly than every 6-7 months).

You wax your car more often than every 6-7 months, right? Apply Back-to-Black before every waxing and you should be fine.

About the moldings...tell me about it. Just off the top of my head, I can think of three or four different types of materials the various black trim pieces on my car are made of (front lip, 2-3 types of side moldings, strips on the roof...). I have to say, the rubbery moldings on the doors get me the most. :angry

Anyway, that`s a good point you make about trim maintenance being something I tend to neglect. Also, I never looked at it from that angle: Back to Black probably should be used about as regularly as waxing. I guess it`s just that when a product is marketed as a "trim restorer", my mind automatically assumes it`s an automatic one-step fix, even though it may not be.