PDA

View Full Version : Any wax/sealant that would make my mismatch paint a little more unnoticable?

Pages : [1] 2

candy eg
09-23-2007, 05:38 AM
My car is kandy apple red and got in an accident earlier this year and the whole front end plus the passenger door was repainted. now on the passenger side where the door and the quarter panel meet you can tell that the new paint is like a shade or two lighter.. but then on the driver side, the painter matched the door to the newly paint fender on that side perfectly. his excuse is that kandy is hard to match panel by panel, i don`t know whether to believe, maybe someone on here that knows a lot about paint can shed some light on that. I was just wondering if there is any product that possibly can make the mismatch a little less noticable because it bothers the hell out of me. thanks in advance. i know its a long shot. o yeah, i don`t want anything that would dim or dull the shine of my paint and not show the kandy effect. i did hit a little spot of the door with 2 layers of mother`s cleaner wax and after that 2 layers of meguiar`s #26 and it did not darken the color at all.

a picture of the side i`m talking about (look where the door and quarter panel meet) and the picture makes it less noticable than in real life.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/azncoolguy510/autopia1.jpg

heres a pic of the driver side that also had the fender repainted but seems to match perfectly. sigh..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/azncoolguy510/autopia2.jpg

David Fermani
09-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Sounds like the shop didn`t blend out enough. Was the right fender replaced & the left fender repaired? You need to take it back to them. They are right, candies are really hard to match when blending into adjacent panels only. Alot of times you need to do a "Texas Blend" where the whole side gets painted.

You`ll never get that paint to match any better without repainting it.

candy eg
09-23-2007, 12:30 PM
nope, both of the fenders were repainted. thats why i don`t get how he could match one thing perfectly but while he got to the other side it started not matching. should i be an upset customer or should i let it go and be happy that it even match this well which i don`t think is good at all..

94BlkStang
09-23-2007, 12:37 PM
nope, both of the fenders were repainted. thats why i don`t get how he could match one thing perfectly but while he got to the other side it started not matching. should i be an upset customer or should i let it go and be happy that it even match this well which i don`t think is good at all..

I agree candies can be very difficult to match but it appears he didn`t blend it into the next panel and instead cut it off at where the two panels meet whcih is a no no. I imagine it wasn`t cheap to fix so I would take it back until you are satisfied. As for you question regarding a wax or sealandt, I don`t see any product that can correct that.

candy eg
09-23-2007, 02:58 PM
more opinions?

imported_themightytimmah
09-23-2007, 03:18 PM
My sister had a mismatch where one part was darker than the other. I tried #26 (strongest darkening effect LSP I`ve seen yet) on the light part and Opti-Seal (very clear) on the dark part. No dice on my attempt - take it back, tell them that if they can`t match it they better find someone who will.

BigJimZ28
09-23-2007, 03:18 PM
more opinions?

a wax will not help but if you keep a nice layer of dirt on it that might make it less noticable

sorry it needs to be resprayed

stiffdogg06
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Looks like they used two different batches for each side.

Repaint.

BTW, what`s under the hood? D16?

I drive a ej1 d16 turboed with a t3/to4e 10psi 272WHP

David Fermani
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
nope, both of the fenders were repainted. thats why i don`t get how he could match one thing perfectly but while he got to the other side it started not matching.

I know both fenders were repainted, but was any one damaged in any way?

should i be an upset customer or should i let it go and be happy that it even match this well which i don`t think is good at all..

You spent alot of money painting your car to look nice, why would you settle for less because this shop hacked it up? They got paid to do it correctly and they obviously didn`t do a good job. This major imperfection will stick out like a sore thumb if someone ever inspects it when you decide to sell. Plus, imagine all the people that can notice this when it`s parked or even while you`re driving.

candy eg
09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
i want to hear from some paint experts with experience if this is acceptable?

David Fermani
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM

You already did. :rolleyes:

BigJimZ28
09-24-2007, 08:55 PM

:secret when it comes to paint and body work info dave is the man!:secret

Macruz19
09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Been there done that. I tried to use different wax products on my RSX a few years back, but did not work out.

I went back to the shop, and they repainted the panel to make it match! I think you should do the same.

candy eg
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
:secret when it comes to paint and body work info dave is the man!:secret

whose dave? what is his username on here so can pm him.

Eliot Ness
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
whose dave? what is his username on here so can pm him.David Fermani