PDA

View Full Version : Front Loader type washing machine

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasonD
09-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I`m in the process of rebuilding my house (Hurricane Katrina) and since I have moved the washing machine and dryer from outside to an inside closet, I have very little extra room, and since stacking the machines is my only option, I am choosing a set of "front loaders" instead of the apartment "joined" type.

I`ve looked them up on Consumer Reports, and to be honest, I don`t know how truthful their reviews are. I tend to think that their recommended products are sometimes influenced in some kind of way because I`ve made purchases purely based on their reviews, and have had terrible results.

For instance, I helped my parents pick out their first front loader washing machine based on CR`s recommendations, which ended up being a KitchenAid brand product. They had nothing but problems with that machine. It was even rated in the top 3 at that time, and is now rated #8 out of 26. It spent more time broken than working.

I am now leaning toward the LG TROMM Steamwasher, but again, it`s the top rated machine by Consumer Reports which scares me.

What is everyone`s experiences with these machines? I was originally looking at the Sears Kenmore Elite, but was told that they were plagued with issues too.

mikebai1990
09-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Hehe, I think Consumer Reports on waxes is pretty representative of how reliable they are ;)

Sorry, can`t really help you in terms of washing machine recommendations..

imported_truzoom
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I`m not sure if this applies to your situation, but the new technology that uses ions to bleach whites and disinfect has been under scrutiny for the possibility of being unsafe.

I think if you can go with Maytag, they typically are worth it since they use stronger components.

Holden_C04
09-22-2007, 06:04 PM
My Maytag washer & dryer have been running strong for 22+ years. Only issue so far has been that the belt on the washer wore out and had to be replaced one year ago.

Accumulator
09-22-2007, 06:43 PM
..I am now leaning toward the LG TROMM Steamwasher, but again, it`s the top rated machine by Consumer Reports which scares me.

What is everyone`s experiences with these machines? I was originally looking at the Sears Kenmore Elite, but was told that they were plagued with issues too.

We just replaced our Kenmore (Calypso model) washer, which didn`t clean worth *anything*. I was gonna get the LG but the local appliance store (where they`ve *never* steered me wrong or disappointed me in any way) said there are reliability and especially bad parts availability issues. They woulda liked to have sold me the LG (more profit) but the service guys and even the salesman said it`d just be a PIA that they didn`t want me to go through.

I got a Whirlpool Duet and so far I`m pleased with it.

And, heh heh, I know what you mean about CR`s recommendations, that was why we bought that awful Calypso...and then watched our clothes look dingier and dingier; I finally started washing stuff in the old-style washer in the garage!

DaGonz
09-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I wouldn`t buy anything that "consumer reports" recommends.

Wifey and I once bought a vacuum cleaner ( a Panasonic upright) that had their top recommendation.

The thing chewed up drive belts for the beater bar like there was no tomorrow (at least 2 a month at $10 a pop...) :wall

I tossed the damn thing after 3 months and wrote "consumer reports" a very nasty letter.

chml17l
09-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I`ve been please with our Bosch washer/dryer that we`ve had for just over one year.

JasonD
09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I think the two washers I am most interested in are the LG TROMM and the Whirlpool Duet. I love the features of the LG, but I am definitely keeping the Duet in mind since they have been out so long, and have worked out a lot of the bugs that most of the others are dealing with.

Accumulator,

Do you have your Duets stacked or side by side?

Brian_Brice
09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
It really depends on what your budget is, but for the money I would have to go with the new LG stackable units over maytag/kenmore/GE.

Not only can you get better features for the money such as the ability to dry clean but thier 4 cube front loader has the capacity to wash a king size set of bedding including comforter. GE has a 4.3 cube to counter i believe but the LG washers and dryers have everything you can throw in a set including looks (I know who cares what they look like) that beat the competition. As far as thier state of the art refridgerators for my money I`d have to stay away from LG even though they are magnetically sealed and their ice makers take up the least amount of capacity out of the lot of em.

AL-53
09-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Ijust boughta LG Trom a few months back....I love it...before I bought it I shopped around...one place told me the same as they did Accumulator that parts are hard to get...well I called a few washing machine repeir centers and they told me parts were no problem...only part that may be longer to get was the led control panel...I may have to wait a week before it came in if I ever needed it....but the LG had the better warranty also....2 years on electronics and 5 on the motor..but 1 year labor....

The Bosh and Duet were my other choices....but with a sale the LG was 150.00 off and then another 10% if youopened a charge on it....I did it and just paid it off....

with the 1200 rpm spin the clothes come out close to dry....works great on pads...spin them and use right after...lol...

Al

tom p.
09-23-2007, 07:47 AM
I think the two washers I am most interested in are the LG TROMM and the Whirlpool Duet. I love the features of the LG, but I am definitely keeping the Duet in mind since they have been out so long, and have worked out a lot of the bugs that most of the others are dealing with.

J, we`ve got the Duet twins :) Fantastic machines, can`t say enough about them. They do stack... we have them in the traditional side by side config.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/26whirl2.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/26whirl4.jpg

Accumulator
09-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Accumulator,

Do you have your Duets stacked or side by side?

Heh heh, we only have one half of the duet, still using the Kenmore dryer. The washer`s sitting beside it and no, they sure don`t look like a matched pair.

Yeah, the fast spin is pretty cool, they do come out a lot drier than I`ve ever experienced before.

My Duet looks very different from Tom P.`s :think: Must be a different model.

The beeps/chime sounds are more pleasing that I expected...a little oh-who-cares that my wife and I ended up appreciating more than we expected :D

The only thing that bugs me is that the liquid detergent seeps out of the dispenser cup (addressed in manual, they recommend powder for some situations) if you do a pre-wash, so the pre-wash ends up having all the detergent in it. No biggie IMO, haven`t noticed any problems.

AL-53- Glad you like the LG, it *is* a great washer. Part of the "parts issue" supposedly is that they (factory parts source) send the wrong parts most of the time. The repair guys really rant about it as they`re the ones who end up dealing with the problem (and the irate customers). With any luck you won`t even *need* parts, I just have really bad luck with certain appliances so I didn`t want to take any chances.

tom p.
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
It`s kinda weird to talk about the washer/dryer, but these machines are really fine pieces out equipment. :) Accumulator, our washer is a 9400, IIRC. I think the dryer is called 9350. I just got the dryer recently `cause it`s difficult to rationalize throwing away a functional dryer. However, I`m glad I did it as the dryer went out of production and we got one of the last two in the country and there was a double rebate on it. We bought the washer a couple of years ago. The dryer also kicks arse, it`s got a huge drum and it`s fast when it comes to drying basic stuff...much faster than the machine it replaced.

94BlkStang
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I`m in the process of rebuilding my house (Hurricane Katrina) and since I have moved the washing machine and dryer from outside to an inside closet, I have very little extra room, and since stacking the machines is my only option, I am choosing a set of "front loaders" instead of the apartment "joined" type.

I`ve looked them up on Consumer Reports, and to be honest, I don`t know how truthful their reviews are. I tend to think that their recommended products are sometimes influenced in some kind of way because I`ve made purchases purely based on their reviews, and have had terrible results.

For instance, I helped my parents pick out their first front loader washing machine based on CR`s recommendations, which ended up being a KitchenAid brand product. They had nothing but problems with that machine. It was even rated in the top 3 at that time, and is now rated #8 out of 26. It spent more time broken than working.

I am now leaning toward the LG TROMM Steamwasher, but again, it`s the top rated machine by Consumer Reports which scares me.

I bought the Bosch (Siemens) top of the line Washer and it`s been excellent. Oregon had an energy rebate of $150.00 and a tax credit of $100.00 and Best Buy had their floor model on closeout for $699.00 (regular $1199.00) so it ended up costing me $450.00 with 24 months no interest. Couldn`t pass up that deal.

Accumulator
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Tom P.- Heh heh, with all the laundry we do around here (~ three loads/day minimum not counting garage stuff) it doesn`t strike *me* as weird to discuss this stuff at all :D

I`ll keep that in mind about the Duet dryer if our Kenmore goes belly-up.

Forget the model of washer we got..[runs to check]..OK, receipt says it`s a 9400 too but it sure looks different from yours :nixweiss Must just be a model-year/cosmetic difference.