PDA

View Full Version : New Honda - Paint Peel - Touch Up?

Shane Camp
09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Preface: Car was made in 01/07 - sat on the lot for a few months - I bought it in Aug `07

I found some paint peeling on my front bumper where it meets the front fenders. The peeling is nearly identical on both sides of the bumper too. I think the paint peeled because the front bumper is pressed right against the front fender creating friction or the dealer washed the car when the paint was too soft and/or used a high pressure wash. What do you think?

Full image, click for larger image

http://www.introspective-sound.us/images/s2k/s2kpaintpeel1.jpg (http://www.introspective-sound.us/images/s2k/s2kpaintpeel.jpg)

Zoomed in image, click for larger image

http://www.introspective-sound.us/images/s2k/s2kpaintpeelclose1.jpg (http://www.introspective-sound.us/images/s2k/s2kpaintpeelclose.jpg)

I`m looking for some tips on how to stop the peeling and clean up the paint. My thoughts were to remove the front bumper, use a fine grit sandpaper and smooth the peeling edge. Then apply some touch paint and put the bumper back on the car but allow a millimeter or two of space between the bumper and the fender to prevent rubbing.

Thoughts?

AL-53
09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
The fix is..bring it to the dealer....its under warranty..if you do any thing to it you may void the warranty fix.....it will only get worse as time goes on..so get it in and have them fix it...

AL

Shane Camp
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I don`t think warranty will cover that - but it`s worth a shot after all it`s still been less than 30 days since I bought it...

SpoiledMan
09-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I don`t know why the warranty wouldn`t cover it. That`s a paint defect.

Shane Camp
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Just called the dealer and I`ll be swinging the car in tomorrow...

ir13
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Nice Laguna Blue Pearl S2000. Def take that to the dealer and get them to fix that.

you should check out s2ki.com alot of us S2k owners on there

Shane Camp
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Nice Laguna Blue Pearl S2000. Def take that to the dealer and get them to fix that.

you should check out s2ki.com alot of us S2k owners on there

I love the color, even though my other car is red. I always thought the S2K was a nice car, then I final drove one a few months ago and was impressed with the cars chassis design and handling. It`s a bit weak in the power but it`s a fun car. I plan on keeping this car stock - I admire it`s craftsman ship (minus my paint problem) and I don`t think tampering with it is a good idea.

As long as there isn`t too much "forum drama" from immature subscribers, then I`m there.

Thanks for the recommendation

DantheMan
09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
If a dealer tried to turn me down for warranty on that being a brand new car less than 30 days old, I would throw a temper tantrum..

I don`t think you`ll have a problem getting it fixed... Just hope its done right the first time.

Shane Camp
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Bonus! Went by the dealer this morning and they were completely cool about it and totally thought it was unacceptable for the paint to be peeling too. "Their" body shop will be taking care of it next Wednesday, once the paint is cured, they`ll shim the bumper properly so no friction will occur. :-)

Dunno why I didn`t feel like going to the dealer about it, perhaps because it`s my first new car and didn`t think about warranty?

Anyway, thanks!!

mikebai1990
09-21-2007, 03:52 PM
lol, of course they would think it unacceptable to have peeling paint on a brand new car! Glad you got your problem fixed.

bsl888
09-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Sometimes even brand new cars will have already gone through the body shop because of shipping damage and what not. Your car may have been one of them and the dealer knows well that they did a poor job painting the bumper the first time. I don`t think the factory will send out poorly cured paint that would scrub off like that. So definitely have the dealer fix it and really check the workmanship. Also make sure the bumper is properly installed. Go and check out other S2K`s on the lot and see how the bumper is fitted and see if any other ones have peeling paint.