PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Old Faded/Blistering Paint

mcc
09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
So, I have a friend in need of help. His car is a 92 Lincoln Town Car, and the body is in pretty good shape. However, the clear coat appears to be bubbling in spots and has turned white. Additionally, the paint on the top of the car is very dull.

Obviously, the paint was not taken care of through the years, and it is a dark blue color. What would you do to bring it back to life again, and what can be done about the white/blistering clear coat?

Thanks for any suggestions on products and/or methods.

coupe
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Clear coat failure, it cannot be fixed without a repaint.

cgage
09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Nothing but the usual. I spent 14 hours with a horrid 66 vette the other day. I did a 3 Step polish on it. The paint will be shinier, but the large defects usually remain.

mcc
09-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that`s kind of what I thought. I just hoped that someone on here might have a trick up their sleeve that I wasn`t familiar with. (There is usually someone on here that knows much more than I do.) I`ll shine it up for him and hope that the shine detracts from the bad clear coat areas (which are primarily confined to one small area) rather than the other way around. I`m just trying to get this done as inexpensively as possible and make it look as good as I can while doing so because he`s selling it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought. :)

PRB
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
An oily non-abrasive polish/glaze (depending on the company`s terminology) topped by a carnauba will do some minor concealing on a temporary basis on the early stages of failing clear.

Once it starts getting worse, especially flaking, there is only one cure for such problems: repaint.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Meguiar`s M07 are oily, non-abrasive polishes/glazes that I`ve used in such instances.