PDA

View Full Version : Micro marring on black paint. Please help.

scrub
06-20-2005, 07:24 PM
For the first time I had a problem with micro marring left behind by a polish pad and #80 using the PC. I tried almost every product and pad combo I had to fix. The cob webbing was removed but the clear scratch/mar free surface wasn`t evident when I inspected with a xenon light or the sun. There appeared to be a haze or fine circular scratches around the light source. The scratches looked like micro fiber lint. The marring was only in the areas I polished which was a few test spots.

Combos I tried:
#80 and polish pad
#80 and finish pad over same area
#2 and polish pad then #80 finish pad
#82 and polis pad
SSR 2.5 and polish pad then SSR 1 and finish pad

I varied how long I worked in the #80 and other products too. I tried new pads.

Luckily this happened on my truck and not a client`s. I can`t figure out what happened. Last year when I bought the truck I used #80 and NXT with no problems.

I`m lost on this one. Any help would be great. Sorry for no pics.

Exquisite
06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Are your pads and microfibers clean? Also, was your surface clean of dust before polishing? I have had 4 black vehicles and I have found that even if you have just washed your vehicle I still go over a 2x2ft area with some S&W before polishing to insure that there are is nothing on the surface. Just a thought.

CharlesW
06-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Since you have had the same problem with different products and different pads, it would seem that the only constants you have are the paint and the removal.
My first thought would be the MF towels you are using. Are they different than you have been using in the past? Have you changed the way you wash them?
Is it possible the marring was there before and the NXT hid it?

Charles

scottabi
06-21-2005, 01:00 AM
My money is on that it is marring from the pad and you didnt notice it because the NXT covered up the ultra fine marring.

I would say lighten up the pressure you are putting on the machine and let the weight of the machine be all the pressure on your final polish passes.

I have VERY soft paint on my mazda (black)...this is the only way to get it marring free.

mgm2003
06-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the club. IMO, very fine micromarring is THE most difficult defect to correct. I`ve had the best luck with Menzernal Final Polish II and PO85RD. I have never had much luck with Meg`s 80 series products, but I know others around here love them. Maybe one of our Meg`s experts will chime in.

GregCavi
06-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Im or loss of words on this one. #80 and a polishing pad on about 5-6 was always my marring remover go-to. Different Clear hardnessand softness make the difference though. I have had trouble a few time removing the micromarring. It takes some time and pateince to fully get rid of it. try #80 and a polishing pad again but work slow and in a small area 2x2.

Greg