PDA

View Full Version : I need to speed up my wash process like a pro ;-)

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
My car washing can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs....

Dangit, just looking at the clock and I`m home today as I`ll be heading to the airport in a short bit. I`ve got a hrs of play time but I don`t think it`s enough time....bearing as I need to clay the hood, entire left side of the car as well.

coupe
09-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Thats about how long it takes everyone

cgage
09-20-2007, 09:11 AM
It takes me that long, any less and i am just asking for trouble with other steps...

derek37
09-20-2007, 09:26 AM
me too. And that`s for a normal size car.

Look at that, 3 straight posts from GR. Cool

coupe
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
GR rules!

Not really :lol

Egleone6
09-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I guess I am an oddball. But def glad I am not from Meeechigan. :lol:

I tend to wash my car in about 15 - 20 minutes. Wash, Dry, Tires and Windows. I do this about 4 - 5 times a month.

I semi-detail my car once a month. Vacuum, inside and polish.

I complete detail my car about 3 times a year.

mzmtg
09-20-2007, 09:47 AM

I tend to wash my car in about 15 - 20 minutes. Wash, Dry, Tires and Windows. I do this about 4 - 5 times a month.

Do you use two buckets and rinse your mitt after every panel?

I can get it done about that fast with QEW, but not with regular washing.

derek37
09-20-2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah we don`t want ya anyway:bolt

coupe
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM

I have a hard time believing you can do all that that fast, unless your cutting alot of corners, even then i dont see how you can do it that fast.

cgage
09-20-2007, 10:07 AM

What about tar, bug, and contaminant removal? Wheels? Wheel Wells? Jambs? Hood? Trunk? Setup and Teardown? I probably spend 15-20 minutes on my windows alone.

I, like Coupe, would have a very hard time believing that you could do a proper job in 20. I could swipe the dust away in 20, but not do a proper maintenance wash. I would say an hour is usual for a customer. Maybe a bit more for my car.

Egleone6
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
When I do a basic wash, the process that I do 4 times a month is not all that detailed. I don`t drive much. Mostly I wash to wash the dust off the car. Or if it rained the last day or two. I have a good wax on my wheels, I just take my OLD mit and wipes right off. The windows, I just wipe off with Invisible glass.

This is not a complete detail, as I have already stated. When I do a complete wash and wax and interior, yes it takes me 2 - 3 hours to do. I only do that 4 times a year.

Now this is if the car is cool, I don`t have any interuptions, and my beer glass is full. :lol:

Egleone6
09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Do you use two buckets and rinse your mitt after every panel?

Nope, but I need to start doing that.

imported_themightytimmah
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I can hustle it in 15 or so, but only with a foamgun and a leaf blower. I foam the entire car, then go around it with mitt in one hand, foamgun in the other, and a bucket at my feet. It`s foam-wipe-dip the mitt in a bucket. It also helps to have 2 or 3 mitts for this.

Then I take the nozzle off, rinse the car, blow out the jambs and some of the paint, and blot dry with a WW. If I try to do it in less than 45 without the foamgun, I always end up with heavy duty marring.

I can do cars that are getting fully detailed even faster - bugs, lower panels, tires, wells get pretreated with APC (5:1 for anything on the paint, FS for wells and tires), foam up paint, go over car with a mitt , hit the rims with Wheel Brightener after the paint is soaped up, hook up the pressure washer, and pressure wash everything. I let it drip dry since the whole thing is getting compounded anyways, and minor waterspots won`t make the process any harder. I`ve done that in 10 before.

Accumulator
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
themightytimmah- I`d *REALLY* like to know how a foamgun/BHB combo would work out for you :think: As long as the vehicle wasn`t too dirty, and it had a healthy LSP on it, I bet your "walk around foaming and washing" technique would go a lot better with the BHB as you probably wouldn`t have to dunk/rinse it very often (the foamgun would keep it rinsed clean). I sometimes have to force myself to stop and dunk the BHB just on general principles...makes me feel like I`m not taking big risks, but I don`t think it`s necessary.

I initially felt I was really cutting corners washing that way, but then I noticed that the expected marring wasn`t happening (I tested this approach on the beater-Blazer) and thought "hey, this isn`t so half-@$$ed after all!" Man would I like your opion on this one...

I`ve decided the AutoGeek BHBs with their long bristles are just too gentle for effective cleaning of this nature, but I like the shorter-bristle BHBs like the Griot`s/TOL ones. If I had a spare that I could live without I`d send it to you, I`m *that* curious about how well it`d work for you :D

kkreit01
09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
A complete wash typically takes me 60 minutes. That`s 2-bucket, panel-by-panel, hand dry, wipe all jambs, underhood, clean wheels & tires. A "quickie" could probably be done in 30 minutes. That`s just a wash & dry -- with no special attention to tires/wheels/jambs.