PDA

View Full Version : Daft question about layering wax

ShinyMera
09-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Probably a daft question but.....

How do you apply layers of wax?

I mean if the wax has a cure time of 8 hours or more do you wash the car before applying the next layer, or do you quick detail?

Apologies if this is a stupid question but up to now I`ve never tried to put two or three layers down over a single weekend.

imported_DieselMDX
09-20-2007, 04:08 AM
if you do not drive the car you can wait 8hrs and apply another coat right over the last one no need to wash or QD

mikebai1990
09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I would probably QD the car if it sits overnight without a garage. Dust still does stick, and it`s best to get it off before you put on another layer.

But, yea, you just apply a new layer after the cure time.

Accumulator
09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Or you can use the spit shine technique. The best write-up was by Nick T (MIA and sorely missed around here!). Do a search for it under his user-name and see if you can find the thread.

BTW, Collinite 476S layers up fine with a ~24 hour cure time.

ShinyMera
09-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I found Nick T`s write up, you`re right - its very good.

Eliot Ness
09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Or you can use the spit shine technique. The best write-up was by Nick T....................Here is a link to that thread for anyone who is interested:

http://autopia.org/forum/hall-fame/38121-spit-shine-your-car-technique-revisited.html

imported_weekendwarrior
09-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Has anyone ever come up with an objective way of determining if one can truly "layer" wax? NickT even said in his write up that the results he was seeing were subjective and not objective. I just wonder at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in (regardless of the brand of wax being used). Surely there has to be some rocket scientist that can measure if multiple coats truly do create a thicker coat of wax, and at what point the "layer" fails to get any thicker.

Disclaimer: I am not saying layering does or does not happen, I would just like to see some scientific proof that it really does happen.

Accumulator
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Has anyone ever come up with an objective way of determining if one can truly "layer" wax?

I don`t want to restart a $#!^storm of controversy, but I did some reasonably controlled tests (equalized timeframes, etc.) and the "layered" side not only looked better (subjective) but also stayed slick/beading/etc. *much* longer (somewhat objective IMO).

Best advice I can give Re layering- try it, using various methods, and if something proves beneficial to you keep doing it, if not don`t bother.