PDA

View Full Version : First big purchase from AG - any thoughts?

Mike281
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I put my order in last night. Just got a rotary and will be practicing before I do any big/high dollar paint work. I have the makita rotary.

pads - all ccs 6.5", 1 foamed wool, 1 orange, 1 white, 1 green, 1 blue (figured I would only buy one of each until I decide what I like to work with).

Polishes - Menz SIP and nano (106FF)

Wax - P21S

Also got pinnacle poly clay, XMT pad care combo, a gallon of Meg`s QD and some foam app pads (hand applicators). I already have all of the other basics in my arsenal....been detailing for a while, just not with a rotary.

Anything you think I missed and will want?

Also, I have some megs #9 - is it a good "in between" product between SIP and 106FF? Meaning, if a car needs more than 106FF, would #9 be good to try before trying SIP if I wasn`t positive that SIP was necessary? Or would you just work the 106FF with a slightly more agressive pad?

Thanks!

Mike

imported_GregCavi
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I put my order in last night. Just got a rotary and will be practicing before I do any big/high dollar paint work. I have the makita rotary.

pads - all ccs 6.5", 1 foamed wool, 1 orange, 1 white, 1 green, 1 blue (figured I would only buy one of each until I decide what I like to work with).

Polishes - Menz SIP and nano (106FF)

Wax - P21S

Also got pinnacle poly clay, XMT pad care combo, a gallon of Meg`s QD and some foam app pads (hand applicators). I already have all of the other basics in my arsenal....been detailing for a while, just not with a rotary.

Anything you think I missed and will want?

Also, I have some megs #9 - is it a good "in between" product between SIP and 106FF? Meaning, if a car needs more than 106FF, would #9 be good to try before trying SIP if I wasn`t positive that SIP was necessary? Or would you just work the 106FF with a slightly more agressive pad?

Thanks!

Mike

Looks like a nice order. You will enjoy the makita and the pads! The menzerna polishes are top notch as well. As per #9, I would ditch it and go full menzerna.

Greg

stiffdogg06
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Suggest loading up on White/Orange pads since thats what you`ll be using MOST of the time.

Looks good! You`ll love SIP/106ff.

ZoranC
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Even though I will be probably blasted for saying it I have one thought: Autopia, unlike AG, doesn`t mind forum members discussing products that Autopia vendors do not benefit from. However, it would be in good taste to discuss purchase planned with certain vendor in that particular vendor`s forum.

Mike281
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks a lot, guys - makes me feel a bit better about spending all of that money!

Zoran, thanks for mentioning it - the thought actually crossed my mind. Being a new guy, maybe I mistook what seemed to be a relationship between AG and Autopia...seemed to me like the two work together from my first time reading on here - AG is talked about all of the time. The discount through AG for being an autopia member further backed that idea in my mind. My apologies to anyone who might be offended, I do understand that the supporting vendors are who make Autopia what it is. If necessary, mods, please delete the thread.

imported_themightytimmah
09-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks!

Mike

I would do SIP on a white pad - with experience, it`ll finish out well on light colors, and even if you need a second step, 106ff will clean it up very quickly and nicely. If you follow it with 106ff on a finishing pad, the results are amazing. I really like 106ff via finishing pad (far more so than by polishing pad), if the marring is light enough to get away with it.

ZoranC
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Zoran, thanks for mentioning it - the thought actually crossed my mind. Being a new guy, maybe I mistook what seemed to be a relationship between AG and Autopia...seemed to me like the two work together from my first time reading on here - AG is talked about all of the time. The discount through AG for being an autopia member further backed that idea in my mind.

I am glad you didn`t misunderstand me and yes I would be confused as well too. Actually, I should have phrased this better. I guess my problem is maybe in the end with moderators of AGO and how they treat Autopia. For example, even though they do have business relationship with DavidB and sell his UDM they would remove links to threads discussing UDM on Autopia.

Old Pirate
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I agreed........:usa

imported_smprince1
09-19-2007, 06:13 PM
As per #9, I would ditch it and go full menzerna.

Greg

I agree.... I can`t find any place for #9 in my arsenal. It doesn`t do much correction, it`s full of oils/fillers, and you`ve already got SIP and 106FF so I don`t see that #9 has any use.

Mike281
09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree.... I can`t find any place for #9 in my arsenal. It doesn`t do much correction, it`s full of oils/fillers, and you`ve already got SIP and 106FF so I don`t see that #9 has any use.

Good to know, thanks! I guess I just have this pre-conceived idea that SIP might be too abrasive for finishes that only need light correction. You know, going back to the whole thing about using the mildest product possible. But from the sounds of it, it`s not as abrasive as I first thought? Would regular IP be the inbetween product between SIP and 106FF? Or should I not even worry about it and go to SIP everytime 106FF doesn`t give me results? I guess I`m just worried about overworking clearcoat that doesn`t need to be....maybe it will be easier for me once I try these out!

Thanks again,

Mike

ron231
09-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Good to know, thanks! I guess I just have this pre-conceived idea that SIP might be too abrasive for finishes that only need light correction. You know, going back to the whole thing about using the mildest product possible. But from the sounds of it, it`s not as abrasive as I first thought? Would regular IP be the inbetween product between SIP and 106FF? Or should I not even worry about it and go to SIP everytime 106FF doesn`t give me results? I guess I`m just worried about overworking clearcoat that doesn`t need to be....maybe it will be easier for me once I try these out!

Thanks again,

Mike

You could probably use SIP on a clearcoat 50 times and still not get it to the point where its dangerous. The only thing you have to be careful about as far as removing too much clear is wetsanding. Youd be amazed how tiny of an amount of clearcoat polishing removes.

Mike281
09-20-2007, 05:07 AM
You could probably use SIP on a clearcoat 50 times and still not get it to the point where its dangerous. The only thing you have to be careful about as far as removing too much clear is wetsanding. Youd be amazed how tiny of an amount of clearcoat polishing removes.

Ok, good to hear...thanks!

Disregard what I said above about #9....I actually have #2, fine cut cleaner. Any thoughts on it as it relates to SIP and 106FF?