PDA

View Full Version : How to apply wax

millsy234
09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
After the weekend results it seems i need to learn how to apply wax properly.

I was polishing the car for most of the weekend trying to get it perfect, which i thought i had done...untill i applyed the wax (collinite 914) i dont no if it was the silverline polisher that had put them in 1st or it was me with too much wax on but as soon as i took the wax off `hollogram galore` :mad: . Could any one recomend a beter wax for my black citroen and also `alot` of advise please on how to apply properly to avoide this next time. Many thanks :thumb:

Accumulator
09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
After the weekend results it seems i need to learn how to apply wax properly.

I was polishing the car for most of the weekend trying to get it perfect, which i thought i had done...untill i applyed the wax (collinite 914) i dont no if it was the silverline polisher that had put them in 1st or it was me with too much wax on but as soon as i took the wax off `hollogram galore`..

You mean their 915 (Marque d` Elegance), right?

It`s a nonabrasive wax so it shouldn`t have instilled any real holograms as long as you applied it with a nonabrasive pad. Could just be a too-thick application, so you might try washing the vehicle and see if that removes the excess wax and solves the problem.

Other thoughts:

Next time, apply it by hand. Collinite paste waxes (never tried the 915 but have used 476S often) aren`t the easiest to apply by machine.

If your polish left something behind, perhaps the machine application of 915 was too aggressive and disturbed that something.

Perhaps the pad for your polisher isn`t soft enough and *it* caused the problem :nixweiss

But I`m hoping it`s just excess wax; IMO most people use a zillion times more wax than they need to and end up buffing 99.9999% of it off. A can of 915 oughta last for many years unless you`re doing a dozen cars per week.

Try to apply so little that you can *barely* see it on the paint, like a faint haze after it dries. Only use as much as you need to attain a uniform application...that`d be a tiny amount for your car, you shouldn`t notice that you`ve used *any* wax when you look in the tin.

I rub my applicator on the cake of wax, and then try to scrape as much wax back out of the applicator as I can (by squeezing it against the rim of the tin or even scraping it with a plastic razor blade).

coupe
09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
What kind of buffer are you using?

If its a rotary you should never apply any LSP with it.