PDA

View Full Version : Removing AW/WG DGS/#26

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
My car got hit :mad: and its at the body shop right now. I have a layer a 3-5 month old layer of DGS, 2-3 month old #26, and have used AW after some washes to boost the shine. I am a bit worried that the paint match may be off because of the stuff thats on the car, so I am considering going over there tomorow and removing everything.

WHat the best/quickest way to remove all of this? I have P21S Cleansing lotion. I guess I can bring clay or alcohol/water mix and use that... or vinegar/water mix?

I just want my baby to be back to new...lol

Thanks.

mikebai1990
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Er.. Does the sealant really darken the color the paint that much to affect the color matching? Completely honest question...

Yea, quickest way, alcohol wipedown :)

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Ya never know, you know?

I know the #26 darkens it, but not sure if it`s lasted this long. It a dark metallic so we shall see.

Should I use straight alcohol, or 50/50?

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2415/gto052hd1.jpg

AL-53
09-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Just get some prep sol at a autoparts store and wipe the car down...stuff is cheap and will do the job of removing every thing on the paint....then wash it after....

the Alc will work also...but have better results with prep sol.....thats what a body shop will use to clean the paint

AL

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Just get some prep sol at a autoparts store and wipe the car down...stuff is cheap and will do the job of removing every thing on the paint....then wash it after....

the Alc will work also...but have better results with prep sol.....thats what a body shop will use to clean the paint

AL

So the name is prep sol? I dont want the body shop to do anything to the paint, cuz I saw some of the guys there washing a truck and I was horror stricken. Only one sponge, one bucket, and the guy would rub the fender wells then the paint... It was terrible...fresh paint, too.

Do I HAVE to wash after the prep sol? I am looking for the quickest way to get this done to just the parts that are near the new parts, since the car is at the body shop as of today.

Thanks for the help, guys.

mikebai1990
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Not sure about the prep sol, but AL-53 is probably more experienced.

With the alcohol, I would mix a 50/50 of 91% IPA and water.

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I have 70%, so I guess maybe 70/30? Would the p21s cleansing lotion work, or am I just better off mixing the alcohol and water in a spray bottle and going at it?

mikebai1990
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Eh, not sure about the P21S cleansing lotion.. I haven`t used it nor had any experience reading about it, so maybe search around, you might find some helpful posts.

Dunno if you have 70% alcohol.. I supposed mix less of water, and more of the alcohol! Don`t worry though, just don`t use it too concentrated (I`m not even sure near-pure alcohol would really do anything to the paint..) and you`ll be fine.

BTW, that`s a beautiful GTO :) Shame it got hit...

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks. Thank god all it needs is a new bumper, fender and headlight. The doctor that hit me is paying for everything, but the fact that the paint might not match worries me.

The body shop guy said it best when he saw the expression on my face when I was leaving lol. "Its like taking your heart out and putting it on the operating table."

SuperBee364
09-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Dupont PrepSol I believe is the name of the stuff.

Sorry to hear about your car. :( Wow, that`s a beautiful GTO. Love that color. Post some pics when it gets out of surgery?

purplenurple
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Dupont PrepSol I believe is the name of the stuff.

Sorry to hear about your car. :( Wow, that`s a beautiful GTO. Love that color. Post some pics when it gets out of surgery?

No need to wait till then :idea

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3371/inthesunafter26003gz0.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2509/inthesunafter26034cd6.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8622/inthesunafter26014ap8.jpg

Thinking about it..maybe not that stock silver but have them painted black or gun-metal

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/822/ssrxx3.jpg

My camera just doesnt do this color any justice..

SuperBee364
09-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Even in the pics, that color looks a mile deep. Don`t paint the wheels! They look great the way they are. IMHO, I think that stock GTO`s are going to increase in value over time now that they have been discontinued in the U.S. Keep it as stock as you can for the greatest increase in value. And even if it doesn`t end up appreciating in value, the wheels look great with that color.

purplenurple
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments! The last pic with the SSR 19s is a photoshop. lol

I am thinking about getting them, since they are only 19.5lbs each, but am afraid of them not being strong enough for a DD.

I checked out my newly painted fender today, and off the car, it looks close in color, but whats the best way to make sure 100%? Camera w/flash? Sun?

Superbee, you got any pics of the charger? I almost got a SRT-8, but decided on the GTO, since it`s a coupe. :D

SuperBee364
09-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the compliments! The last pic with the SSR 19s is a photoshop. lol

I am thinking about getting them, since they are only 19.5lbs each, but am afraid of them not being strong enough for a DD.

I checked out my newly painted fender today, and off the car, it looks close in color, but whats the best way to make sure 100%? Camera w/flash? Sun?

Superbee, you got any pics of the charger? I almost got a SRT-8, but decided on the GTO, since it`s a coupe. :D

I know what ya mean... my wife said I couldn`t get a GTO or a Mustang, cause they were coupes! She insisted on a four door with an automatic. She darn near tore the tranny out of our last manual.

There`s a few pics of the `Bee here: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/90401-my-vintage-experience-4.html?highlight=vintage+experience on page two and on page four.

Those wheels do look sweet... very nice photoshop job.