PDA

View Full Version : newbie polish question.

sk55
09-17-2007, 08:32 AM
hi guys

when trying to remove small scratches on paint with polish, do i work the product with a foam applicatior or mf cloth?

should i use vertical strokes or circular strokes?

thanks

imported_never gone
09-17-2007, 08:41 AM
hi guys

when trying to remove small scratches on paint with polish, do i work the product with a foam applicatior or mf cloth?

should i use vertical strokes or circular strokes?

thanks

unless you`re using a machine it`s pretty darn hard and at times not realistic to really remove scratches/swirls by hand. Polishes need to be broken down at high speeds to really be able to do their jobs and it`s almost impossible to maintain that speed by hand for the micro-abrasives to do their jobs.

imported_smprince1
09-17-2007, 08:49 AM
By hand I use a terry wrapped applicator and straight motions. The terry cloth seems to have more bite than foam or MF.

But I agree it is difficult to achieve much correction by hand on scratches.

sk55
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
`i was gonna detail my car this weekend... so you guys think i need an orbital..?\r\n\r\n\r\ni was gonna\r\n\r\n1) clay\r\n\r\n2) sonus polish...\r\n\r\n3) then apply zaino cs afterwards?\r\n\r\n\r\ni am planning to do this by hand, well i get good results, or should i go buy an orbital.\r\nis sonus and zaino compatible, or do i have to wash again after polishing...\r\n\r\ni am looking for good results, i really dont need a show room shine since its my daily driver.`

Accumulator
09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
sk55- Welcome to Autopia!

As most polishes are pretty mild when used by hand, it`s common to do the initial work with terry as it`s more aggressive. Then follow up with MF or foam (your choice) to remove any micromarring *if* the terry leaves any (sometimes it will, other times it doesn`t).

Direction doesn`t matter as the goal is to finally polish so gently that no marks are left behind. Do what`s comfortable to you. Consider that popular polishers use "random" directions.

1Z brand polishes work better by hand than anything else I`ve tried.