PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs

Ern
09-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I hope this goes in this section but if not please move it mods, thank you. I have a bulb or 2 to replace around the house and 1 is in the garage. Is there any downfall from replacing my incandescent bulbs in the ceiling with flourescent bulbs? The new ones that are curly?

red4.8
09-16-2007, 08:35 PM
The only downside is they take a few seconds to warm up( give you full light).

There is only a few flourescent bulbs out that can be put on a dimmer. Most of the

new curly flourescent bulbs found at HomeDepot/Lowes cannot be put on a dimmer switch.

If you do not have a dimmer and few seconds of heat up time is not a problem then yes get them. They have a few different shades of light and save on energy bills.

Ern
09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I was just wondering if it would make swirls and marring not so visible.

Accumulator
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I was just wondering if it would make swirls and marring not so visible.

IME it will. Stick with incandescent for swirl-spotting. It`s something related to "point-source" lighting- incandescents *are* that, and fluorescents (curly-style compacts or regular tubes) are *not*.

I do *all* of my final inspections under incandescents and I find stuff that I simply cannot see under any other light, including my halogens. I can only see the very worst marring under any type of fluorescents...there`s a joke around here that if I can see marring under fluorescent light, then it`s not *my* car ;)