PDA

View Full Version : MicroMarring/Oxidization Repair

itln.stln
09-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone I`m new to this forum and I hope to learn a lot from you you car detailing veterans so to start off here is my question...

I`ve got a problem with my driver side door and front fender. It looks like either someone rubbed up against my car or it oxidizing. I`ve read a few articles that all pretty much say to just buff and polish, but I`ve never done any of that. Now I`ll admit that I`ve not taken as well a care as I should have of the paint but like everyone else I`ve been busy. Now that I have some weekends back I would like to start properly cleaning and caring for the car. I`ve armed myself with:

3 Wash buckets (Soap, Rinse, and Wheels)

Sheep skin mitts

Gold Class Shampoo

Microtex microfiber towels

Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Paste Wax

And just recently purchased due to the problem...

Cheap MVP buffer from WalMart

ScratchX and Mothers ClayBar Kit

Now with all this stuff should I be able to fix these scratches/oxidization? Can someone tell me the steps to take to properly restore the paint?

Thank you guys very much in advance,

Enos

Brian_Brice
09-16-2007, 03:46 PM
The only two things that will be able to tell you if you have what it takes is your clay and your scratch x. i would probably use the scratch x by hand though, it looks to be oxidation on top of a lot of marring but its questionable.

mikebai1990
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Whaddya have there, a Taurus?

I`m not sure what exactly is wrong with that area. It might be clearcoat failure. If it were oxidation, I wouldn`t understand why it`s only on the top area, and not the lower area.

itln.stln
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Yea it`s a 2004 Ford Taurus SES, it`s nothing special but for some strange reason I love the car. How could you tell that it was a taurus? I don`t know why it`s on that top area, I think someone may have rubbed up against it or it could have just been that Arizona dust storms that we`ve had the last couple of months, but it still doesn`t explain why that area only. I`d like to get the paint restored as much as possible so any help and advice is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Enos

namegoeshere
09-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Looks like clear coat failure to me along the top portion with oxidation below.

Accumulator
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Now with all this stuff should I be able to fix these scratches/oxidization? Can someone tell me the steps to take to properly restore the paint?

Welcome to Autopia!

It`s hard to tell from a picture, but I *think* it`s just marring. Use the Scratch-X and see if that`ll fix it. Be sure to work it long enough for it to break down. Be warned that this won`t be a ten minute process ;) You might have to go over it many times.

TimelessR1
09-17-2007, 01:48 PM
`Just to give you a heads up. Certain older Ford cars had a real bad issue with their paint and clear coat. This was usually more prevalent on darker colors. Ford semi admitted that they realized there was an issue by giving out \"ford dollars\" to be used if you were going to buy a new Ford. It seems as though the clear coat failed, and the paint was just worn away. If you do a search on FORD PAINT PROBLEMS you can find alot of reading on this issue. Most of the cars I\`ve seen with this issue are Tarus, and Sables, but other fords have it as well. Hope this might help you`

sdat1333
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Yea it`s a 2004 Ford Taurus SES, it`s nothing special but for some strange reason I love the car. How could you tell that it was a taurus? I don`t know why it`s on that top area, I think someone may have rubbed up against it or it could have just been that Arizona dust storms that we`ve had the last couple of months, but it still doesn`t explain why that area only. I`d like to get the paint restored as much as possible so any help and advice is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Enos

Well, the glass says ford, so that gives the brand right away. Also, the door shape is fairly recognizable.

mikebai1990
09-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Yea, we used to have a 2002 Taurus, so the curves were familiar.

Yea, go ahead and try the ScratchX, and see whether that helps any.

itln.stln
09-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Awsome I`ll give it a shot and let you guys know how it comes out.

Thanks for all the help,

Enos