PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take me so long with P/C?????

Pages : [1] 2

W.S.
09-16-2007, 08:14 AM
After reading alot of click and brags it seems it takes me way too long to polish, usually 7-8 hours on medium-hard paint and it still isn`t swirl free. I use either wolfgang or edge 2K pads with optimum polishes and compounds. What am I doing so wrong?

Wade

Paulie Walnuts
09-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Its not that you are doing anything wrong Wade, the PC is not a very powerful machine. You can do some nice defect removal with it but you are right, it takes time. The advice I offer is:

- Make sure you are running the PC on speed 6

- Increase the level of pad and compound you are using

- Make sure you are putting about 15 to 20 pounds of pressure on the PC

If you are serious about detailing you should invest in a rotary. They are not that hard to learn and once you do learn you can do amazing work and do it in a much more timely manner.

Old Pirate
09-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I totally agreed with William! My next machine will be a rotary! Happy detailing.........:bigups

Paulie Walnuts
09-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Also take a read through this thread as there is some very valuable information here:

Meguiar`s Online - Problems and Solutions when using the G100/PC Dual Action Polisher (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/thread/35439.aspx)

archer39
09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I have the same issue. 7-8 hours was fine when I just did my own car. now it is no longer practical for me beings that i do a car or 2 a week. I am ordering my rotary today :D

littlemissGTO
09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow now I really don`t feel so bad. It took me at the very least 8 hours to do my car (first time ever using a machine). That does not include doing the interior.

Paulie Walnuts
09-16-2007, 01:23 PM
For those ordering a rotary from what I hear the hitachi is the only way to go due to it being so light and due to the 5 year warranty.

You can buy my porter cable rotary for $100 if you want.

SpeedEuphoria
09-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I looked around a lot and just bought a makita off an Ebay store for $175 shipped, most the Hitachi`s are out of stock.

ZoranC
09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Who wants to buy my Metabo for $220 plus shipping?

W.S.
09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Well its nice to know that I`m not crazy, and it really does take "that" long to do it with the P/C.

I will get a rotary for next detail season hopefully.

Wade

littlemissGTO
09-16-2007, 05:14 PM
There`s no way I`m ready for a rotary. I`ve gotta get some more passes under my belt with the UDM. Sadly that might be a long time (on my car). Discovered some potential paint issues so it`s back to the dealer for me.

coupe
09-16-2007, 05:25 PM
After reading alot of click and brags it seems it takes me way too long to polish, usually 7-8 hours on medium-hard paint and it still isn`t swirl free. I use either wolfgang or edge 2K pads with optimum polishes and compounds. What am I doing so wrong?

Wade

Dont let the C&B threads fool you, it takes all those people 7-20 hours also. The threads make it appear they did it in an afternoon when really it took them 7-20 hours.

Paulie Walnuts
09-16-2007, 05:27 PM
There`s no way I`m ready for a rotary. I`ve gotta get some more passes under my belt with the UDM. Sadly that might be a long time (on my car). Discovered some potential paint issues so it`s back to the dealer for me.Its really not that hard to learn. Just go for it and go to a body shop and get junk panel and practice on it.

littlemissGTO
09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Its really not that hard to learn. Just go for it and go to a body shop and get junk panel and practice on it.

If I had a garage I`d do exactly that.

Paulie Walnuts
09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
If I had a garage I`d do exactly that.

Opps, hehe never thought of that :sign