PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar’s #2 not enought ?

Pages : [1] 2

kilimats
09-16-2007, 01:49 AM
so i tried getting rid of the swirls and scratches on my black 2002 golf with the UDM, orange pad and Meguiar’s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner at speed 5-6 but even after multi passes the deepest scratches remained (not crazy deep too, i can feel them with my nail )

what am i missing or doing wrong ?

derek collier
09-16-2007, 02:20 AM
i believe the general rule is that if you can feel them with your nail, they need to be fixed, not just buffed

kilimats
09-16-2007, 02:45 AM
i believe the general rule is that if you can feel them with your nail, they need to be fixed, not just buffed

gotcha, so since the scratch didn`t reach the paint, should i layer some clear coat paint in the scratch ?

[newbie inside as you see] :)

Ralliart16
09-16-2007, 03:02 AM
if the scratch is just in the clear, then touching it up, then wet sanding and buffing might help hide it

Patman
09-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Try using Meguiar`s #83, which is more abrasive. Plus I believe #2 isn`t really suited for a DA, it`s better on the rotary.

SpoiledMan
09-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Try using Meguiar`s #83, which is more abrasive. Plus I believe #2 isn`t really suited for a DA, it`s better on the rotary.

If he has the new formula it works well via DA and will say so on the back of the bottle.

kilimats
09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
If he has the new formula it works well via DA and will say so on the back of the bottle.

i check the instruction on my meguiar #2, and it says in red at the top:

A specially formulated cleaner for use with a rotary buffer to remove stains, scratches, swirls, water spots, oxidation and other stubborn paint problem

so i guess it wasn`t design for the UDM, but i did get some very good result because all the light swirls were gone.

So anyway, should i give a try to meguiars #83 and do more passes with orange pad at speed 5-6 ?

i am scare to destroy the clear coat, how many pass at moderate pression would be necessary before the clear coat says bye bye ?

thanks a lot for the support

rancid82
09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
if you`re using a DA, you won`t destroy the clear coat.

I was in the same position as you when I worked on my car. It had heavy heavy hard water stains as well as numerous scratches and swirls. This was on a brand new car. The lot guys really went to town with it. Anyways, the #83 worked really well. Trick is this, set your machine speed to 2 and nothing more. You want to give the abrasives a chance to work itself in. Going too fast will cause the stuff to break down faster. 5-6 is too fast IMO. It doesn`t work. I tried speed 4 on my DA and it`s a no go. You end up using more product than you need to and wasting more time going over the area again.

My vehicle looks great now and it`s just super reflective after I finished it off. I just have to redo the hood as it was the first spot I did and took it too fast. The rest of the car I did with at speed 2 which was great...got rid of almost everything. I used the sonus SFX yellow pad with the 83 first, followed by the Sonus white pad with klasse AIO, hand application of 4*UPP, and p21s.

Using the DA was hard for me as I came from using a rotary before. So it was like working backwards....instead of fast it was slow. Just takes some adjustments. Try the #2 again and see if it works on the lower speed setting. If it doesn`t, go to the 83.

kilimats
09-16-2007, 02:43 PM
if you`re using a DA, you won`t destroy the clear coat.

I was in the same position as you when I worked on my car. It had heavy heavy hard water stains as well as numerous scratches and swirls. This was on a brand new car. The lot guys really went to town with it. Anyways, the #83 worked really well. Trick is this, set your machine speed to 2 and nothing more. You want to give the abrasives a chance to work itself in. Going too fast will cause the stuff to break down faster. 5-6 is too fast IMO. It doesn`t work. I tried speed 4 on my DA and it`s a no go. You end up using more product than you need to and wasting more time going over the area again.

My vehicle looks great now and it`s just super reflective after I finished it off. I just have to redo the hood as it was the first spot I did and took it too fast. The rest of the car I did with at speed 2 which was great...got rid of almost everything. I used the sonus SFX yellow pad with the 83 first, followed by the Sonus white pad with klasse AIO, hand application of 4*UPP, and p21s.

Using the DA was hard for me as I came from using a rotary before. So it was like working backwards....instead of fast it was slow. Just takes some adjustments. Try the #2 again and see if it works on the lower speed setting. If it doesn`t, go to the 83.

what you said make sense but why my Ultimate Detailing Machine state on the it that 5-6 are for polishing tasks, confusing hey !

i`ll give another try in Speed 2 then

also, any idea how many pass at moderate

pressure would be necessary before the clear coat says bye bye ?

whitejavaS500
09-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Rancid,

Using speed two to polish a car using something abrasive is like digging a foundation with a spoon. Speeds 5-6 are usually NECESSARY to break the polish down correctly. Believe me, you`re better off working at 5-6, its much more effective.

Killmats,

You arent going to kill your clear unless you try rediciously hard to. Its damn close to impossible with the PC, unless you`re using say a 4 inch yellow spot pad.

Patman
09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
so i guess it wasn`t design for the UDM, but i did get some very good result because all the light swirls were gone.

So anyway, should i give a try to meguiars #83 and do more passes with orange pad at speed 5-6 ?

Stick with the white polishing pad, as on a lot of finishes you might end up with micromarring when you use the orange cutting pad.

On my black Corvette I`ve gotten excellent results with the combination of my UDM at speed 5, using a white LC polishing pad with Meguiar`s 83, followed up by Meguiar`s Speed Glaze (M80), also with the white pad, followed by Meguiar`s 21 synthetic sealant. It is a lot of work, but in the end it looks fantastic!

FWIW, a couple of weeks before I got my UDM, I tried out a friend`s PC and we were using the orange pad with Meguiar`s #2 (the old formula) and I found it much less effective than 83.

kilimats
09-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Rancid,

Using speed two to polish a car using something abrasive is like digging a foundation with a spoon. Speeds 5-6 are usually NECESSARY to break the polish down correctly. Believe me, you`re better off working at 5-6, its much more effective.

Killmats,

You arent going to kill your clear unless you try rediciously hard to. Its damn close to impossible with the PC, unless you`re using say a 4 inch yellow spot pad.

hum, wonder why rancid82 got result on speed 2 :confused:

regarding killing the clear coat, i understand that every time i do a pass with my polisher i remove a bit of clear coat, so is it not going to be removed completely after too much polishing ?

like in 4 year, i would have polish my car 8 times ( twice a year ), will the clear still remain, if so how many percent you would guess ?

kilimats
09-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Stick with the white polishing pad, as on a lot of finishes you might end up with micromarring when you use the orange cutting pad.

On my black Corvette I`ve gotten excellent results with the combination of my UDM at speed 5, using a white LC polishing pad with Meguiar`s 83, followed up by Meguiar`s Speed Glaze (M80), also with the white pad, followed by Meguiar`s 21 synthetic sealant. It is a lot of work, but in the end it looks fantastic!

FWIW, a couple of weeks before I got my UDM, I tried out a friend`s PC and we were using the orange pad with Meguiar`s #2 (the old formula) and I found it much less effective than 83.

ok, will try #83 and report my luck :-)

Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant should be applied with the black pad i read. Why are you using the white pad ? different result ?

Patman
09-16-2007, 03:18 PM
ok, will try #83 and report my luck :-)

Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant should be applied with the black pad i read. Why are you using the white pad ? different result ?

I`ve got a black pad coming from eShine.ca tomorrow actually, and will use that with M21 from now on, that`s the only reason I`ve been using the white pad with it so far.

kilimats
09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I`ve got a black pad coming from eShine.ca tomorrow actually, and will use that with M21 from now on, that`s the only reason I`ve been using the white pad with it so far.

gotcha :up

me too, eshine delivery next week with lots of stuff including M21 and Klass AIO :woot: