PDA

View Full Version : Just ONE question before I start the detail!!!

redlinegts85
09-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I am going to be doing everything by hand (no machines). I`m going to wash, clay, polish, and then wax. For the polish I currently have megs #9 with has a cutting power of 3 I believe (out of 10). My question is, since I`m doing everything by hand and I have a lot of swirls/scratches, should I get a different megs with a higher cutting number? Could you recommend any that I can get down at my local pep boys?

Thanks!

Kewjoe
09-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I`m not an expert on the Megs line.. however to expect to get out heavy swirling by hand might be unrealistic. If the polish has a higher cutting power chances are you won`t be able to work it in by hand.

Good luck!

sdat1333
09-15-2007, 04:22 PM
getting swirls out by hand is hard, but possible.

I would just save the time and get a UDM or rotary. Or get a polish with a lot of fillers and use that.

redlinegts85
09-15-2007, 04:24 PM
getting swirls out by hand is hard, but possible.

I would just save the time and get a UDM or rotary. Or get a polish with a lot of fillers and use that.

What`s a good OTC product with a lot of fillers? What do the fillers do exactly?

redlinegts85
09-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Also, my number #9 has turned into a watered down liquid due to being outside in the heat. It`s still white, but just more like water and doesn`t get thicker when I shake it. Would it still be ok to use like this or should I buy another bottle?

mikebai1990
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
redline, if it`s like water, definitely get another bottle. Note that #9 hasn`t really yielded any results when used by hand. By machine, it`s okay, but it fills more than it does correct.

redlinegts85
09-15-2007, 05:20 PM
can I start claying my car immediately after I wash or should I dry it first? Can I just spray the detailer on my wet car and then clay away?

steck
09-15-2007, 05:30 PM
hmmmphhh, i cant imagine polishing by hand anymore....

not to be discouraging but hope you like a good work out, with minimal results....

i kinda have to agree with another poster, to maybe get a glaze type product with lots of fillers (actually #9 aint a bad choice!), and then a couple coats of wax.

or a cleaner wax type product....should work out okay...and i`d try Zymol cleaner wax for that! I`ve recently tried it and was surprised with results.

Accumulator
09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
redlinegts85- Fillers fill very slight scratches, hiding them temporarily.

If you want to work by hand you oughta get some 1Z polish. Gotta oder online (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ) but it makes more sense IMO than wasting time with ineffective OTC products.

#9 will hide a bit. #80 will too and will do some more correction. The new version of #2 can be used by hand. Some people (e.g., ScottWax) have used #83 to do correction by hand. But IMO you oughta get some 1Z Paint Polish instead. Even then I`d set aside a whole weekend for the polishing/waxing.

IF you clay while it`s wet, *keep* it wet so you don`t get waterspots. If you`ve never clayed before I`d dry the car and do it as a separate step so you can take your time.

rollinthelines
09-15-2007, 10:02 PM
how could you forget this thread?

http://autopia.org/forum/hall-fame/77859-test-swirl-removal-hand.html

looks like autoglym SRP worked best for this guy.

Accumulator
09-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I`ve used SRP since forever, but I still point people towards 1z polishes instead. For the effort invovled, I`d rather do more mechanical correction. You could always try applying SRP after the 1Z, but I bet the 1Z would remove anything light enough for the SRP to hide anyhow.

Still, that could be a good approach unless the paint is very, very soft. Apply the SRP gently so as to disturb the stuff 1Z leaves behind as little as possible. Buff it off and let it cure until the next day and then apply a second coa.. oops, lemme rephrase to avoid flames..apply a second application ;) of SRP, again as gently as possible. Wait until the next day and top with a heavy carnauba. SRP * 2 + wax is a good approach alright.

I *do* like SRP better than the oh-so-popular KAIO for many jobs ;)