PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Ques: Wash and Wax

AC15
06-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Is it ok to simply wash and then wax my car without any cleaning/polishing in between? What are the pros and cons of doing so? :newbie

Btw, my car is swirl city, a result of too agressive clay barring by a couple of friends. The color is deep pearl green.

Also, I don`t have a PC and usually use off the shelf products.

Mad iX
06-20-2005, 02:12 AM
That`s what I normally do, but my paint is usually in good condition.
If your paint has any embedded contaminants or swirls then it could definitely do with a good clay and polish. After that you can keep it in tip top condition with a wash once a week and a wax every few months.
Otherwise, you can use a multi-purpose product like ColorX or Poorboys Polish with Carnauba to clean/polish/wax your paint in one go.

JaredPointer
06-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Pros
You`ll have some wax on the vehicle
You may hide some marring
The finish may look better for a little bit

Cons
You won`t be removing any imperfections
The look won`t last long
It could always look better

Just a few quickies. An BTW, just because you use over the counter products does not mean that you can`t get a very nice look out of them.

Beemerboy
06-20-2005, 08:14 AM
I`d go with an AIO product that will help clean, polish and add some protection. Poorboys, Klasse, a decent cleaner wax would be my choices

CharlesW
06-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Btw, my car is swirl city, a result of too agressive clay barring by a couple of friends. The color is deep pearl green.

Also, I don`t have a PC and usually use off the shelf products.Based on these comments, Meguiar`s Color X followed with Meg`s NXT Tech Wax would probably do a decent job of polishing and hiding the flaws. I didn`t think the NXT was a long lasting product, but if you did it monthly, the car would look pretty good most of the time.
When you feel you can afford a PC, you can do some serious polishing.

Charles

AC15
06-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was looking into the Poor Boys Polish w/ Carnauba. Does this product requires using a PC?

Also, I have the Mother`s Carnauba Wax, so I will probably be using that as a last step thing.

Thanks!

Beemerboy
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
You can use PB P-w-C byu hnad no problem a PC would make for better results but by hand you will do fine.

If you are going to top with that Mothers wax make sure that it does not have a cleaner in it.

Scott P
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Polish with Carnauba is an excellent one-step product that will suit your needs nicely. Hand appliation is just fine.

AC15
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
If you are going to top with that Mothers wax make sure that it does not have a cleaner in it.

Hmm..I have the Mothers California Gold "pure carnauba wax"...How can I tell if there any cleaners in it? By reading the labels, I cannot tell.

Thanks guys...that`ll be all for today. Must purchase the PB.

Beemerboy
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
AC15

The can will have cleaner somewere on the can, if you do not see it then its not.

torqueboxer
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Another product that can be put on by hand to clean with before waxing is Malco`s "Restorer" or "Rejuvinator" both do well at pulling dirt and oxidation out of the paint. Malco creme wax or "plum crazy" for a glaze. For a novice using a new product especally a two step. Use the cleaner in one spot and then follow up with the sealant, all in the same spot. That way you get an idea of what type of pressure and technique you need to use on the rest of the car. Then you will not have to do anything twice. And always test a new product on a inconspicuous place too...just in case. LOL