PDA

View Full Version : Will this method minimize swirls/spider scratches?

soupnazi
09-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi Folks! Great site which a lot of useful information.

I just purchased a used 2007 True Red MX5 Miata. The paint on the car looks great except on the hood. It appears there are some slight vertical and spider swirls/scratches on the hood. (see pic; looks like someone used a wash brush) It would be great if I don`t need to spend money for a Porter Cable (on a budget) and would prefer something inexpensive that could help hide these by hand.

Will the following paint plan help hide the scratches/swirls? If not any recommendations? I would use this plan if there weren`t any scratches but that kinda throws things off.

1. Wash with Meguires Gold Class Wash

2. Claybar with Mothers Claybar Kit

3. Wash Again with Meguires

4. Polish with Klasse All in One (by hand...hopefully this will help some of the scratches)

5. Multiple coats of Collinite 845 Wax (I hope it will help hide the scratches)

I`m in Canada so our selection is much less up here. (eshine & carcaresmart seem like good online Canadian stores) Thanks!

imported_DieselMDX
09-14-2007, 02:32 AM
klasse aio will not remove imperfections.

can you find any glazes? that will help hide imperfections if not a polish is needed

soupnazi
09-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. If I where to put Klass Sealant Glaze after Klass AIO and then put Collinite 845 on top...would it help? Would multiple layers of KSG help?

imported_DieselMDX
09-14-2007, 03:00 AM
i dont think so, see a lsp is not meant to hide anything the prep below the lsp is the key

you need to find somekind of polish/glaze to remove the imperfection before lsp

tod071
09-14-2007, 04:00 AM
If you`re not interested in getting a machine, I always recommend getting it done by a pro first. Have a pro use the machine to get rid of the swirls/scratches. Then you can maintain the paint thereafter.

Setec Astronomy
09-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Those swirls will not lay down easily. The AIO will be a good prep but won`t really do much for the swirls, although the 845 may hide them some. A better approach might be the AIO to get the paint clean, follow with something like Meg`s #9 or #7, and top with Collinite 476S which is a bit heavier than the 845. Dunno if those are available to you.

Others recommend some 1Z products for this kind of thing...I don`t remember which ones and not sure if you can get those in CAN.

imported_JoshVette
09-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Even if you do find a true glaze polish, it will only be a temporary fix, for like 2-3 washes at most then you will be stuck looking at them again.

Just bight the bullet and have a pro detailer remove them permanently then you can maintian the sealing and waxing part by hand.

Remember two bucket washing is your best friend to avoid future swirls.

Josh

Eliot Ness
09-14-2007, 07:41 AM
.......Others recommend some 1Z products for this kind of thing...I don`t remember which ones and not sure if you can get those in CAN.Yeah, Accumulator is a big fan of the 1Z products for use by hand. If you do a search with his user name and the word polishing you might find some of his posts. In the meantime below is a very good thread on swirl removal by hand:

http://autopia.org/forum/hall-fame/77859-test-swirl-removal-hand.html#post786233#post786233

VTechFan02
09-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Since it is only the hood, i would first try to remove/diminish them as much as possible first through hand polishing with an abbrasive polish (not a compound, just a finishing polish). You will have to put a few hours into it and a lot of elbow grease, but it should come out much better then if you just hide them (and be more permanent).

After you have reduced the swirls, then you can apply a glaze to hide what is left. Just remember that the glaze would have to be applied on top of the AIO or SG as sealents will not bind to most glazes. After the glaze, top with a heavy paste wax like 476.

-Frank

imported_weekendwarrior
09-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Since we are dealing with something small like a Miata (and assuming you don`t want to buy a PC), I would wash, clay, use Meguiar`s ScratchX on the hood and trunk lid (maybe a couple of rounds of this depending on the condition), apply some kind of a pure glaze, followed by a wax.

imported_themightytimmah
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
I would use Vanilla Moose by hand under 845IW. Another great option is Einzsett Metallic PolishWax under 845iw. Either will keep it looking great for a while, and eventually you`ll find yourself wanting a PC.

Accumulator
09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, Accumulator is a big fan of the 1Z products for use by hand...

Yeah, working by hand, 1Z stuff works as well as anything will. Virtually idiot-proof, user-friendly, and effective. My hands-down recommendation for newbies (by hand *or* machine) and I use it myself (in addition to all the other stuff I use, I`m not working in a vacuum ;) ).

Ultra/Extra for nasty deep scratches (yeah, it`s OK on clearcoat, don`t worry about the manufacturer`s warning). Follow up with Paint Polish to remove Ultra`s micromarring.

Paint Polish works well as a medium strength abrasive and will usually finish out ready to wax.

Metallic Polish is very, very mild and is more like a potent cleaner wax. It can be good if Paint Polish doesn`t quite give the super-fine finish you want. FWIW I like this better than VM, but it`s a personal preference. The two are somewhat similar but neither will really do much correction except on very soft paint.

Top 1Z polishes with wax (e.g., Collinite). The 1Z polishes leave a little wax behind but it only lasts for a few weeks.

Heh heh, anybody who`s used both products will confirm that 1Z puts Scratch-X on the trailer when it comes to being user-friendly ;) OK..since I posted that some contrarian will probably :argue the point, but it`s still my opinion ;)

soupnazi
09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow...thanks very much everyone for all this information. I`m a car wash newbie but this forum is a wealth of information. Thanks again!