PDA

View Full Version : Does no one else know about clay??

mjpowers728
09-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I was cleaning a car for delivery today and there was a whole mess a crap on the side that took forever to clay off. As I was working at it, a few salesmen and other porters passed by and stopped to ask what I was doing. When I told them I was claying the paint, they looked dumbfounded and needed an explanation. I didn`t get how out of about 6 people, not a one heard about clay. It`s right next to the wax at the stores!

PS, this started out as some angry venting but I`ve calmed down a bit.

the other pc
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
You wouldn`t think something so monumentally useful would be such a "secret" would you? But that`s the way it is.

PC.

imageautodetail
09-13-2007, 07:03 PM
good thing that it is my name or I would have been lost...

8 out of 10 people take there car thru a gas station car wash monthly and a special treat is a self serve with a vac....

nothing surprizes me

RTexasF
09-13-2007, 07:53 PM
It`s called job security. Don`t tell any of them what you are doing.

Morris9982
09-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I didn`t know about clay until a year or so ago. I read about it on a detailing forum on a Mini Cooper site. Now I use it whenever I`m getting ready to polish my car.

93AccordLXwhite
09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I was washing my friend`s car with him the other day and realized how much I`ve learned from this website, and remembered how `little` other people know about things such as claying and polishing. I guess I had always just assumed everyone had the same knowledge that I had.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Personally, I dont think clay is the right nomenclature for auto care............And it may be due to this fact that it may surface as intimidating to the DIY`er......

Scottwax
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Dealerships and body shops still stupidly use rotarys with wool pads in the hands of goons to take off overspray so I`d say most people still don`t know about a product I`ve been using since 1995.

94BlkStang
09-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I was cleaning a car for delivery today and there was a whole mess a crap on the side that took forever to clay off. As I was working at it, a few salesmen and other porters passed by and stopped to ask what I was doing. When I told them I was claying the paint, they looked dumbfounded and needed an explanation. I didn`t get how out of about 6 people, not a one heard about clay. It`s right next to the wax at the stores!

PS, this started out as some angry venting but I`ve calmed down a bit.

Heck, a lot of people barely know about wax.

:clap:

tod071
09-14-2007, 04:06 AM
I always get asked about clay myself. I just show them the crap that comes off their cars...nuff said. :chuckle:

Bert
09-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Until I started reading on this site in mid July, I had no clue what detailers clay was.

jedovaty
09-14-2007, 09:24 AM
^^^ what he said.. I just found out about clay when I read up on how to wax my new car :) Still a bit weary of using it on my car, but I`ve tried it on three and it`s an interesting product. In fact, I used to use surgery towels on the other cars to wash and dry, which would be tossed to the ground in a really macho manner when I`d go from one side to the other, then rinsed in the soap bucket and applied to the car again, and no distinction between wheel and body towels (I used two total for washing, and the rest for drying). Yikes!

ricka
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
jedovaty, don`t worry about claying a new car. i did it and it worked great. put your hand in a plastic sandwich baggy and lightly touch the paint surface--you might be surprised how rough the paint feels--i know i was. use a clay thats very light--i`ve used both the pinnacle ultra poly and griots paint cleaning clay. very mild and not abrasive at all. just make sure you use enough clay lube so the clay doesn`t stick to the paint.