PDA

View Full Version : Can`t Remove A Lid

littlemissGTO
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Well my Natty`s red (among other stuff) showed up today and I can`t get the lid open. Short of cutting the lid off with a sharp knife anyone have any suggestions on how to get the darn thing open. I plan on using it tomorrow.

mikebai1990
09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
What kind of lid is it? Plastic?

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought the red was in some special wide mouth container, but if it`s the same as the regular Natty`s or the Wheel Sealant, they are a PITA. When you get it open, it will be a pain to put back on and take off again, the threads don`t seem made right. But in your case, it sounds like it`s just jammed on from the initial tightening. If you don`t have a jar opener you can use, can you bring it to work or a neighbor and let someone with bigger hands give it a shot?

littlemissGTO
09-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Hot water actually did the trick. I`m not sure why it wouldn`t open. The Natty`s blue opened with no issues at all. Go figure.

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Hot water actually did the trick. I`m not sure why it wouldn`t open.

There is your answer. It could be some wax between lid and container that got hardened and hot water softened it.

coupe
09-14-2007, 06:43 AM
There is your answer. It could be some wax between lid and container that got hardened and hot water softened it.

Its more likely the hot water softened the plastic just enough to unscrew the top.

imported_smprince1
09-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty??? :o

Eliot Ness
09-14-2007, 07:11 AM
I thought the red was in some special wide mouth container, but if it`s the same as the regular Natty`s or the Wheel Sealant, they are a PITA. When you get it open, it will be a pain to put back on and take off again, the threads don`t seem made right...........Setec, the red came in both a wide mouth and normal (for Natty`s) container. I just got a wide mouth (new) jar from a member here and it fits just as well as the other Natty`s jar..... which like you said can be a PITA sometimes...... and come to think of it, my Wheel Sealant is the same way. I love the products, but those lids can be a hassle.

Jesstzn
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Old school trick for opening lids.... turn the container upside down and bang it square and sharply on the counter top or a piece of plywood. This will compress the threads and break them loose. Same principal works on bolts and screws.