PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Modified Polyurethane Over Spray?

DutrowLLC
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a job tomorrow in which I have to remove an "Acrylic Modification to a Polyurethane Enamel" type paint. The technical support guy at the company who makes the paint informed me that it is very similar to vehicle paint.

The product spec for the specific type of paint is located here:

TNEMEC.com: Series 1075 (or 1075U) | Endura-Shield II (http://www.tnemec.com/product/overview/?p=142)

The paint has been on the vehicles for about a week so has had time to cure. At least one vehicle has over spray on the inside in the dashboard and steering wheel.

I called the company that makes the paint and the tech person who I talked with said that there shouldn`t be any solvents that are safe to remove the paint from the surfaces that I am working with. He also said that the paint may have reacted with and bonded to any plastic surfaces (however probably not rubber surfaces)

I assume that clay will be the method of choice for removing the paint from the clearcoat and glass surfaces. I`ll also have mineral spirits and lacquer thinner on hand (I`ll obviously be careful when applying these).

What I am worried about is removing the over spray from plastic exterior surfaces as well as the interior surfaces such as the steering wheel and dashboard.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

David Fermani
09-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a pretty big insurance claim to me. You`ll probably have no luck removing it from anything excet glass and paint. Mineral Spirits is just about the weakest of solvents so try that or APC 1st.

salty
09-14-2007, 02:18 AM
As David said, insurance claim before you start. For him and you. If you can play around with it, without being held accountable for damage, then you could try a few things on the interior. Otherwise i would steer away from it and stick to the exterior.