PDA

View Full Version : 3M PPS Sungun arrived; Mini Review and Pictures...

Pages : [1] 2

Harry Houdini
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Finally found a reason to buy this babe...

Pictures below of the nice package and case it comes in.

Nice product but it makes you feel as if detailing your personal car is not the intended

use of it although 3M says it can be used for matching paint color or detailing to spot

imperfections.

Per instructions I kept the battery charging for 8 hours "I kept it for much longer in fact

around 14hrs which will help the battery reach its full capacity per instructions of course"

I was blown away by the amount of imperfections I seen in the car this morning in my pitch black garage!

The roof/trunk/hood in saphire black BMW were in such a bad shape that I felt stupid for having it detailed with out this gadget!

The unit has a fan in the back of it to cool the light it self and the housing when it

gets a little hot although I turned it for 5 minutes the fan was cooling the unit while I was

checking the car, you get 2 light setting activated by clicking the trigger once for normal

light "which is extremely bright by it self" and a second click to activate the turbo light

which gave me the sensation as if the sun was inside the garage! :spot

Also the unit turns off every 50 seconds by it self to save battery and cool the unit but

You can keep on using it with no problem; it is the safety feature build in as it has a processor

That counts turn on time + temperature and complete shutoff feature for 15 minutes only in case of extreme heat until it cools down.

“Normally only happens in 8 hours of constant useâ€

All in all great gadget that doesn’t come cheap $350ish plus shipping insurance

$45 plus overnight shipping $50 "don`t ask me why I just wanted this sucker in my

inventory ASAP :D

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Demon_M6/Harry%20Houdini%20M6/Picture001.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Demon_M6/Harry%20Houdini%20M6/Picture003-1.jpg

Lens Picture

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Demon_M6/Harry%20Houdini%20M6/Picture005.jpg

Fan Picture

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Demon_M6/Harry%20Houdini%20M6/Picture004.jpg

Update: Check the second page for more opration pictures!

stiffdogg06
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Looks like a good product to have around. Now let`s see it being used. I rather see results with a product than just the product itself.

Harry Houdini
09-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Looks like a good product to have around. Now let`s see it being used. I rather see results with a product than just the product itself.

hehe, coming very soon as I just placed an order for Swissvax Mystrey :2thumbs:

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I was blown away by the amount of imperfections I seen in the car this morning in my pitch black garage!

Does it reveal swirls when used on car under very bright sunlight (but not direct sun)?

stiffdogg06
09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
hehe, coming very soon as I just placed an order for Swissvax Mystrey :2thumbs:

I just want to see pics of you using the light; not mystery. :LOLOL

I just want to see how much better is this light than my $25 1000W Halogens...

Harry Houdini
09-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Does it reveal swirls when used on car under very bright sunlight (but not direct sun)?

I have seen it used it in detailing world with the normal 2 halogen lights and also

this light from a different angel to reveal them.

trust me you won`t be disappointed with it especially if it is for a customer you care about,

you don`t want him calling you "complaining about swirls" ;)

Stiffdogg

My car been "professionally" detailed as you know, but swirls are yet to leave it alone

so I will have a go at it very soon when mystery arrives.

it is better than your halogen and mine combined especially considering the heat

that comes out of the halogens and portability would be obvious reasons,

just keep the halogens as far as possible at half power, and this baby in your hands.

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
I have seen it used it in detailing world with the normal 2 halogen lights and also this light from a different angel to reveal them.

trust me you won`t be disappointed with it especially if it is for a customer you care about,

you don`t want him calling you "complaining about swirls" ;)

I do not work inside, I work outside, and almost always I have to evaluate paint quickly on the fly outside (think parking lot), so whether it is strong enough to easily overcome (contrast wise) very strong daylight (think Southern California mid day of mid summer but no direct sun that would help you and you have light colored vehicle in front of you all together creating a dissipated glare) and reveal those flaws and swirls is of utmost importance to me, especially because I have worst possible customer in the world (me).

That is the question nobody was able to answer for me yet.

Harry Houdini
09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
I do not work inside, I work outside, and almost always I have to evaluate paint quickly on the fly outside (think parking lot), so whether it is strong enough to easily overcome (contrast wise) very strong daylight (think Southern California mid day of mid summer but no direct sun that would help you and you have light colored vehicle in front of you all together creating a dissipated glare) and reveal those flaws and swirls is of utmost importance to me, especially because I have worst possible customer in the world (me).

That is the question nobody was able to answer for me yet.

to be honest with you, I think I seen it somewhere in the manual that it should not

be used in direct sunlight, I know you work on the shade, but I will double check this

manual when I get home, typing this from my iPhone.

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I think I seen it somewhere in the manual that it should not be used in direct sunlight

I would assume that would be their advice and I understand why, they don`t want tool for matching paint used in environment that will cause interference as later you might blame tool for colors not being matched. So, their warning is not related to what I am trying to do as I will not be matching paints. All I would be using it for in sunlight is to hunt down swirls, identify did I do things right during polishing or I created problems, and to hunt down paint flaws and possible indicators of possible repaints.

typing this from my iPhone

You like new toys just as much as I do, if not more, don`t you? ;)

Accumulator
09-13-2007, 03:57 PM

AFAIK you`ll never see marring as well in a lighted environment as you will in am otherwise *dark* environment. Something to do with the way contrast works, forget the details.

I too wonder how well it`ll work; my painter has one, and with it I can`t see marring that I can see under my incandescents.

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
AFAIK you`ll never see marring as well in a lighted environment as you will in am otherwise *dark* environment. Something to do with the way contrast works, forget the details.

I too wonder how well it`ll work; my painter has one, and with it I can`t see marring that I can see under my incandescents.

I understand that but in the absence of best way I am just trying to find out how close I can get with whatever "second best" would be.

the other pc
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Ever notice how you don’t worry about farting at a Metallica concert but you do in a crowded elevator?

Trying to view swirls with an artificial light source in daylight is like being at the concert.

PC.

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Trying to view swirls with an artificial light source in daylight is like being at the concert.

Ever noticed how direct sun straight above your head is never there when you need it but there is always such lighting that you can see everything but swirls?

Trying to do it without anything available is like being only male invited to an all female dorm sleepover on a moment`s notice right after you took very long swim in a very cold water. In other words you are heading to a battlefield with absolutely nothing.

stiffdogg06
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Ever noticed how direct sun straight above your head is never there when you need it but there is always such lighting that you can see everything but swirls?

Trying to do it without anything available is like being only male invited to an all female dorm sleepover on a moment`s notice right after you took very long swim in a very cold water. In other words you are heading to a battlefield with absolutely nothing.

I have a bad feeling someone is explaining what happened to them... :p

ZoranC
09-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a bad feeling someone is explaining what happened to them... :p

I wish I was because that would mean I have been invited, I would not let rest of it end up being an obstacle :lol