PDA

View Full Version : need a product to...

Envious Eric
09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
remove wall paper paste from the exterior paint. Its been on the car for over a year I guess. Its hard a a rock and 91% alcohol wont dissolve it and clay doesnt even come close...what are my other options

Jason M
09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I would start with the 3M eraser wheel. I want to say it`s called a pin stripe removal wheel or something along those lines. It`s about 4" in diameter, white, and kind of rubbery feeling. Follow that with some 3M General Purpose Automotive Adhesive Remover and you should be good. Finally a good claying and polish. I`ve had good luck with the eraser wheel when nothing else will do the trick.

BigJimZ28
09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
try a mixture of fabric softner & water!

it`s a time tested homemade wallpaper remover

put in on a rag and keep it damp for 10-15 min

if that does not work they sell wallpaper remover @ any home store

that SHOULD be safe for the paint.

BobD
09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a new product I just started to carry called Oil Flo. I have not tried it on wall paper adhesive but I know it is one of the best adhesive removers I have used. Might want to give it a try.

coupe
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I would start with the 3M eraser wheel. I want to say it`s called a pin stripe removal wheel or something along those lines. It`s about 4" in diameter, white, and kind of rubbery feeling. Follow that with some 3M General Purpose Automotive Adhesive Remover and you should be good. Finally a good claying and polish. I`ve had good luck with the eraser wheel when nothing else will do the trick.

Ive seen this many times, what tool is this supposed to be used with?

BobD
09-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Ive seen this many times, what tool is this supposed to be used with?

I honestly wouldn`t recommned the 3M tool. I used to use one all of the time when I worked for Eagle Trailer (boat trailers). I would have to prep the warranty and repair work for paint. That included getting rid of the striping. I think about 90% of the time I burned through the paint, which didn`t matter anyway since it was getting repainted.

Coupe, it goes on a drill.

coupe
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I honestly wouldn`t recommned the 3M tool. I used to use one all of the time when I worked for Eagle Trailer (boat trailers). I would have to prep the warranty and repair work for paint. That included getting rid of the striping. I think about 90% of the time I burned through the paint, which didn`t matter anyway since it was getting repainted.

Wow, didnt think it would cause that kind of damage. Marring the paint sure but actually burning it is extreme. Kinda makes it useless.

BobD
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Wow, didnt think it would cause that kind of damage. Marring the paint sure but actually burning it is extreme. Kinda makes it useless.

Well, I was using it with an air powered grinder. I guess it might not be so drastic with a drill? I know it heated up really fast.

imageautodetail
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Steam??? used the hell out of the wagner steamer rehabbing a few homes. A steamer or a wet rag and an iron?

Jason M
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM

If you where burning paint then you where using it wrong. It`s meant to be used with a drill at 500-2500rpms with light pressure. I have used the eraser wheel on numerous paints and NEVER had an issue. It doesn`t even marr the paint really.

BigJimZ28
09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
do you get this taken care of?

what worked for you?