PDA

View Full Version : Machine or Hand Buffing?

Knightt
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and after many visits to this site I finally decided to join. I tried to perform a search on machine buffing for waxes but wasn`t lucky enough to find anything. After reading some threads, it seems that many prefer hand buffing? I`m trying to find out the procedure to properly buff out wax using a PC/UDM. I already buff by hand but was hoping that machine buffing would be quicker but I`m worried about the circular motions/patterns the machine will leave while buffing versus buffing by hand from side to side.

Any advice for the new guy is appreciated, thanks!

Knightt
09-13-2007, 05:37 AM
*bump*

Anyone can help? Or did I possibly answer my own question that hand buffing is the way to go?

imported_smprince1
09-13-2007, 06:41 AM
If you are refering to removal of wax residue after hazing, I believe most here remove it by hand with a quality MF. Personally, that is what I do.

Application of the wax can be via hand or machine, and depending on the product and vehicle I switch between hand and machine.

Polishing or compounding to correct paint defects is best achieved via machine, either PC or rotary.

Knightt
09-13-2007, 07:55 AM
If you are refering to removal of wax residue after hazing, I believe most here remove it by hand with a quality MF. Personally, that is what I do.

Application of the wax can be via hand or machine, and depending on the product and vehicle I switch between hand and machine.

Polishing or compounding to correct paint defects is best achieved via machine, either PC or rotary.

Thanks! Appreciate the input...that is all I really wanted to confirm.

Dan
09-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Yep, few people use the machines to remove the wax, it just doesn`t seem worth the effort. For me it is a lot faster to do it by hand.

Accumulator
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Knightt- Welcome to Autopia!

I use machines to remove LSP residue all the time, works great if you apply the LSP properly thin.

Direction doesn`t matter when you`re talking about nonabrasive processes, and I`d argue that it doesn`t matter when you`re being (intentionally) abrasive either. It`s just that straight scratches don`t show as readily as circular ones....so don`t cause scratches and it won`t matter :D

BigAl3
09-13-2007, 04:34 PM
i apply lsp`s by PC and remove by hand. if you applied a thin coat, removal should be a breeze...

Knightt
09-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your input everyone!