PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in Doing a Paint Sealant Test?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

David Fermani
09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
I`m picking up my new company car today. It`s a 08 Malibu that`s silver. It will get parked outside in the Florida sun and get washed every 1 to 2 weeks be me using some of the most harmless wash techniques possible. I want to know if anyone`s interested in comparing and testing their brand of paint sealant on my new vehicle. I was thinking that the hood, roof & trunk (horizontals) can be split down the middle and that means that 6 products can be tested. I`m planning on trying CPC Corp`s R-2000 Paint Sealant (made with DuPont ZONYL). This product is one of many that`s used in the retail dealership setting that offers up to 5 years of protection (reapplication annually) with a full warranty. I have a friend that owns an application center and swears by its ability. Is anyone willing to send me a small sample of their favorite sealant so the results can be documented periodically here?

BTW: the vehicle has not been dealer prepped and will get a complete and thorough claying to ensure the paint is defect free. No buffing will be needed, thus eliminating the possibility of cross contaminating a products ability.

mikebai1990
09-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I`d be interested in seeing the results, but unfortunately I won`t be able to send you any products :)

David Fermani
09-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Nobody has a spare 1-2 oz of their best paint sealant to put up against the mainstream dealer applied stuff? Everyone puts this stuff down and says it`s a bunch of snake oil, let`s put it to the test.

NSXTASY
09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
I think the consensus is that while it may be a good sealant, its not worth the $500+. Personally, I would be interested to read the warranty info, that could be worth it.

I`m not interested in the test, otherwise I would send you out a few samples.

Right now, Zaino v. Ultima is my only sealant test interest.

SpoiledMan
09-12-2007, 05:33 PM
You have some Jet Seal?

David Fermani
09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I think the consensus is that while it may be a good sealant, its not worth the $500+. Personally, I would be interested to read the warranty info, that could be worth it.

I`m not interested in the test, otherwise I would send you out a few samples.

Right now, Zaino v. Ultima is my only sealant test interest.

I agree that $500 just for the paint sealant portion of the package is kinda steep(unless annual reapplication is included). The actual cost of a bottle of sealant is similar to the boutique products. Please keep in mind that there`s a markup involved with buying this service at the dealer level as well as the warranty that has to get purchased and that is 2-3times more than the cost of the product itself.

Why don`t we compare Zaino & Ultima up against some other products to see what happens? I haven`t seen anyone try that yet. I`ve got a virgin finish in a pretty harsh environment to test this out.

imageautodetail
09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
pm me your address, I will get you some in the mail this week end

salty
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I think i could come up with a couple sealants that are never mentioned on here.

PM me your address.

NSXTASY
09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
IWhy don`t we compare Zaino & Ultima up against some other products to see what happens? I haven`t seen anyone try that yet. I`ve got a virgin finish in a pretty harsh environment to test this out.

Oh, believe me, when my Ultima package arrives, PGP & PPP, there will be a product battle on my car like never before. I will certainly post my method & results in order to address the fantastic claims of Ultima. Let the best product win.

Brian_Brice
09-12-2007, 08:40 PM
too many variables for what youre doing but i will send you some sample sealants if you want. pm me.

David Fermani
09-12-2007, 08:44 PM
too many variables for what youre doing but i will send you some sample sealants if you want. pm me.

Give me some insight on your thoughts. Sealant vs. Sealant vs. Sealant etc....

It`s a brand new vehicle that needs no correction. Just a seal and determine the criteria for testing.

Frito Bandito
09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I could send a sample of UPP or Megs M21.

imageautodetail
09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I have 2 that I would like to send, but I think testing 6 is too much, maybe 4, quarter the car at the roof

jfsully
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
David:

How about a little jetseal for the test?

I can run some down to you sometime since you are close.

Scottwax
09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I can even send you my own wax hybrid (Meguiars #16/Pink Wax) if you want to compare a carnauba to the sealants too.

I`ve got Opti-Seal, Ultima, Z5, and Acrylic Jett.