PDA

View Full Version : Window cleaning advice?

shadybreal
09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I live in south Georgia and it get very hot and humid during the summer, so windows can be a real biatch. I recently had a hard time cleaning the insides w/o leaving some type of light film. You can`t see it from inside the car, but it`s very noticable to me looking in from the outside. I`ve tried Stoners, 50/50 water/alcohol, and few others. `ve sprayed directly n window and towel. I`ve washed by glass towels separate, added degreaser to wash, and rinsed twice w/ vinegar. A fellow member told me today that the Surf City is the best he`s ever used, so maybe I`ll give it a try. Any other ideas? Thanks!

mjpowers728
09-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I`ve been getting into the habit of wiping the glass with a damp chamois then drying with paper towel. It`s been working pretty well on slightly filmy windows.

purplenurple
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Give Surf City CLearly Better Glass Cleaner a try. It is available from autogeek.net. It cleans like Stoners, but never streaks, and is tint-safe. I use it with a WW towel on my windows, even in the hot FL sun, and works perfect.

ZoranC
09-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Change kind of towels you are using to something that "cuts" the film, not spreads it. Try surgical huck towels for start.

94BlkStang
09-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I live in south Georgia and it get very hot and humid during the summer, so windows can be a real biatch. I recently had a hard time cleaning the insides w/o leaving some type of light film. You can`t see it from inside the car, but it`s very noticable to me looking in from the outside. I`ve tried Stoners, 50/50 water/alcohol, and few others. `ve sprayed directly n window and towel. I`ve washed by glass towels separate, added degreaser to wash, and rinsed twice w/ vinegar. A fellow member told me today that the Surf City is the best he`s ever used, so maybe I`ll give it a try. Any other ideas? Thanks!

For a windshield, give newspaper a try as it works excellent as a glass cleaner with your choice of glass cleaning solution. Just don`t use it on aftermarket tinted windows.

shadybreal
09-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Change kind of towels you are using to something that "cuts" the film, not spreads it. Try surgical huck towels for start.

Thanks! I`ve got some different ones I`m going to try today. Still MF, but not the WM waffle weave ones.

ZoranC
09-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks! I`ve got some different ones I`m going to try today. Still MF, but not the WM waffle weave ones.

You are welcome :) If you get surgical huck towels keep in mind they are bad for cleaning (they will spread liquid around) but good to cut film, so I do it two step: MF to clean, huck to finish. Let me know if you need some huck towels, I have too many. In the meantime I am testing approach that I suspected will be even better than huck and so far I am happy with it but need more experience with it under the belt until I am sure.

AL-53
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
The Hucks are the best glass towels I have used ..the ones I got are pretty absorbent also....I got them from The rag Lady..I use 2 ..one to clean and one to wipe after...streak free glass....

AL

imageautodetail
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I use a fairly plush MF(always washed seperate) and SPRAYWAY glass cleaner 4 towels 2 for inside 2 for outside, 1 towel gets sprayed, 1 towel to wipe fold x4 and using a clean part of the towel each time. I always get streakfree clean windows, and one thing to remember is that some times less product is better.