PDA

View Full Version : Mayonnaise and Salad Dressing?

CARTfan
06-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Has anyone ever heard of using mayo or salad dressing to remove tree sap? I did a Google search and there were a few hits that recommended this. I recently posted a thread about these big blobs of sap on my car and many people suggested alcohol. I did that, and it removed the bulk of the sap except for a tiny bit that refuses to come off. The alcohol infused cloth just slides right over this very thin layer of hardened sap. I haven`t yet tried just holding the alcohol soaked cloth on the sap, then wiping, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with using condiments to remove sap. :dunno

PS - To all the dads out there, Happy Fathers Day. :beer

JeffM
06-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Never heard of it, but i had some baked on sap that too me 1/2 hour to remove with alcohol.

It took many attampts of letting the soaked piece of cloth sit on the spot, then rubbing it off.

norahcrv
06-19-2005, 08:09 AM
I`ve not tried it on dried tree sap, but I wonder if something like "GooGone" would work on this last sticky remnant? Try applying it directly to the area & let it soak for a minute or two? :dunno

Good luck on "perfecting" your finish :bigups

lonnie
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
my husband and i have a detailing business and had a bronze colored lincoln continental brought to us to be detailed and it was covered with all kinds of pine tree sap and little red spots we tried everything to clean it and the only thing we found that worked for us was Avon Skin So Soft, you cover the area with the sap let it set for a little bit and use alot is elbow grease, then wash it off thoroughly, worked for us

Koop
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I would imagine vinigar and oil dressing would work pretty well! I would never try it as I`ve never had anything that my paint prep solven cant fix, but I guess if it`s what you`ve got to work with. But really, if nothing else, try kerosene.

Anthony A
06-27-2005, 06:10 PM
When I have to remove sap I try clay first, this work 90% of the time. If clay doesn`t work I use a tar remover like Stoners Tarminator. Spray on let sit than remove. My last resort is 3M Wax and adhesive remover. If this can`t get it nothing will.

Beemerboy
06-27-2005, 06:51 PM
This is a pretty aggressive approach but I have used lacquer thinner. I do this at the wash stage, wet the car, use the thinner on a rag and clean the sap. I have yet to see any sap that stands up to this, wash off with soapy water and rinse. The area that you clean will look somewhat dull but will polish right out. I did a whole side of a large SUV this way. The customer had hit a aerosol can of white stripping paint. It removed it with little hassle and I know tree sap will not be that hard either. You can also use mineral sprits and get the same results its not quite as aggressive

CARTfan
06-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I tried alcohol, clay, bug & tar remover, Goo Gone, Bug Squash, Goof Off... nothing. Then I took the car in to be buffed to remove some paint defects and it`s still there, just shiny. I`ve never seen anything like it. I`m going to piss and moan to Subaru of America because this paint is complete crap.