PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country Pads Question

CARTfan
06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I was perusing the Premium Auto Care site looking for some PC pads and the oft recommended Lake Country Pads come in 7.5 inch or 6 inch sizes. It seems there`s a difference between the two sizes in their shape and/or utility (ability to use only the edge of the pad if needed?) Which is which? I`d like the one with the ability to use only a portion of the pad if needed. As well, how do these attach to the backing plate? They`re not velcro correct? Any expertise would be much appreciated. :jump

The Pit
06-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I`m not 100% certain, but I think the concave pads (7.5") are intended for use with a rotary. The smaller, flat pads (6") with DA buffers like the PC. Again, not 100% sure of this.

JeffM
06-19-2005, 08:20 AM
I have both types of pads. The 7.5" ones are pretty good, but i think a flat pad is better for a PC.

The outer edge of the VC pads are more prone to building up dried polish on the edges, because they dont touch the paint as much.

On a rotary i believe they offer a better cut, but on a PC, if you need to remove some more serious swirls, i would use a 4" spot buff pad.

PS. It is not advised to use a PC on its edge.

klnyc
06-19-2005, 08:55 AM
I used 7.5" LC concaved on my rotary, I even have set of 8.5". I think like above said. The 6" flat pad it`s good for PC.

GregCavi
06-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I use the 7.5" with my pc with no problems. I really like that size for the pc. It minimizes the pc rocking on higher speeds.

Greg

awd330
06-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I like both the 7.5" curved edge and 6" variable contact designs from Lake Country. I have no problems using either one with my PC, although my PC does have the 6" counterweight. If you only have a 5" counterweight, you may experience excess vibration with the larger pads.

I use smaller pads for spot correction and general defect removal. For the final polishing step and sealant/wax application, I prefer the larger pads with the beveled edge design.

The Lake Country pads generally attach using a velcro backing. The 7.5" curved edge design sports a molded velcro cup design which is very useful for completely containing the edges of the backing plate. It also allows for more precise centering of the pad. The 6" design has a flush mounted velcro backing.

JeffM
06-19-2005, 01:39 PM
What i do like about the 7.5" ones, is that you can goto the edge of your hood and by design, the pad stays off your plastic vent area by the wipers!