PDA

View Full Version : How to go about repairing key marks?

imported_hockeyplaya13
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Ok so my truck got keyed awhile ago and I didn`t have the $ to get it repainted because it stretched onto 3/4 panels on one side. These are very deep, and are white at the bottom. Does that mean it went through the base coat or primer, or both, or neither? I got some "touch up" primer, the right color paint, and "touch up" clear coat. I`ll post pics soon. I plan on applying all that and wetsanding when necessary. I need to know what order to do what (ex. primer, color, wetsand, clearcoat, wetsand, polish, or do I only need to wetsand once?). I also don`t really understand wetsanding. What coarseness of paper do I need? Can I do it with my PC? And a step-by-step of wetsanding would be great because I`ve heard of it but haven`t been able to find anything on how to do it. Even if you can only answer one question please do.

To make it easier:

Does that mean it went through the base coat or primer, or both, or neither?

Order?

What coarseness of paper do I need?

Can I do it with my PC?

How to wetsand?

Paulie Walnuts
09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
The scratch went below the clear coat so you will not be able to just buff it out, please see this article:

Polishing Paint to Perfection (http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80225-polishing-paint-perfection.html)

What you can do is put touch up paint over it, wetsand the top of the paint down to match with the clear then buff the wetsanding marks out. I have never done this but I have seenn several people here with much greater talent than me do it. Do a search and I am sure that you can find a lot of information here.

20jettatdi03
09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
lay down the touch up paint and then put the clear on top. Then go ahead and use either megs 3000 unigrit (have to order online) or 3m 2000 grit (available at autozone, ect.). Make sure that when you are sanding to do it lightly and keep the surface well lubricated (i use ONR at QD strength). Once the paint is level, take the PC and polish out the sanding marks and it should look like this one i did a while ago (it was down to the primer):

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/96193-2007-350z-detail-scratch-removal.html

just remember to take your time and let the paint dry for at least an hour and a half

-Dan

imported_hockeyplaya13
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
So I don`t need to sand after applying the color? And I assume it will take a heavy cut polish afterwards?

Ralliart16
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
So I don`t need to sand after applying the color? And I assume it will take a heavy cut polish afterwards?

step 1) prep (clean surface)

step 2) apply color

step 3) apply clear (some people do, although some say it`s not necessary)

step 4) let dry, then wet stand

step 5) polish