PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cleaner

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fabre
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
There seem to be some kind of layer on my new windshield I am having difficulties to remove.

When the windshield is dry I can`t see it, but if the windshield is wet and I use a squeegee or wipers it, the layer look like a glazing/frosting and severely limit visibility.

When using a squeegee I can feel the windshield is not as smooth it should be.

I tried to clean it with Windex and Invisible Glass but it didn`t make any difference.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

tom p.
09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Fab, what kind of car is it?

Fabre
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
It`s a 94 Mazda Miata

tom p.
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
How about trying some clay? I suspect you`ve got years of environmental crud built up.

Fabre
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Actually it`s a brand new windshield, I had it replaced a couple of weeks ago.

Seems more like chemical based. Wondering if the Invisible Glass could have reacted with a coating of some sort on the windshield.

Guy
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Is it kinda like syrup is smeared on the window and all you do is smear it around more? My sisters Honda Accord has this, I`ve tried everything from glass polish, clay, vinegar water, etc. I never did get rid of it!

BobD
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Try some 1Z Glas Polish

Dailyshine
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I was going to suggest clay as well. I`m not sure how much of a difference it is, but even new cars could use some claying on the paint. Maybe the same applies here :nixweiss

Once, I had some bad water spots on my windshield and tried clay, but it didn`t do much. I could`ve needed something more aggressive than the blue Clay Magic bar, but that`s all I had. Then, I tried some ceramic glass cleaner that you use on those glass range tops and it worked great. Maybe worth a shot. If all else fails...

WK446
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Try a product called "20/10" if it is an oily multi-colored residue that seems to be smeared around when you use your windshield wipers. It is a product that is sold in concentrated form and you mix it it with water.

Dailyshine
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Try a product called "20/20" if it is an oily multi-colored residue that seems to be smeared around when you use your windshield wipers. It is a product that is sold in concentrated form and you mix it it with water.

I`m assuming you`re not talking about Eagle One 20/20, correct? As far as I know, that isn`t sold in a concentrated form. Do you have more info or a link for the product? It`s always nice to have more options available :)

WK446
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Dailyshine: No, I`m not referring to the Eagle One product. Actually, I think was typing a touch too quickly. The product I meant to say is "20/10" Windshield concentrate:

20/10 Products, Inc. // Cleaning Solutions for Every Environment (http://www.2010products.com/products/auto.htm)

Apparently you can purchase it in a larger size now, but I have the small 8 oz bottle.

mikebai1990
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Try the claying first. It should help. Maybe try some isopropyl alcohol as well...

Dailyshine
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Dailyshine: No, I`m not referring to the Eagle One product. Actually, I think was typing a touch too quickly. The product I meant to say is "20/10" Windshield concentrate:

20/10 Products, Inc. // Cleaning Solutions for Every Environment (http://www.2010products.com/products/auto.htm)

Apparently you can purchase it in a larger size now, but I have the small 8 oz bottle.

Ah...ok, gotcha. Thanks for the link.

imported_truzoom
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
If you want to be drastic, get some Barkeeper`s Friend powdered cleaner. It isn`t supposed to scratch, so wet the windshield, sprinkle on some and rub in a soft sponge to make a paste.

I occasionally use this method to really get all the grime and buildup off my windshield.

Fabre
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I am going to clay it first, should I just use water to lubricate?

If that fail I will try the isopropyl.