PDA

View Full Version : Megs 81

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone ever use the Megs 81 hand polish. Might be nice to throw on between machine polishings. I know it does hide swirls but it is probably easy to use and then throw a coat of dealant over top.

Any thoughts?

Accumulator
09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I`d be careful about what sealant you try to put over #81; I`d probably stick with something from Meguiar`s. This is more the sort of product I`d use under a carnauba.

FWIW, I found #81 easier to use than #7, but not as easy as #3 or #5 (the easiest of them all).

Some paints really respond to the Meguiar`s "pure polishes", especially single stage paints. On excellent-condition b/c paint, I never found them worth using, but YMMV.

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I have number 5 on hand. So 81 and 5 pretty much have the same properties. Does 5 fill scratches and hide swirls. I used 5 then 20 topped with 26 on my black explorer.

The paint was excellent when I applied 5 so didnt really see a difference. Its at the point where there are some minute swirls and looking for something to hold it over until the next machine cleaning

94BlkStang
09-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Anyone ever use the Megs 81 hand polish. Might be nice to throw on between machine polishings. I know it does hide swirls but it is probably easy to use and then throw a coat of dealant over top.

Any thoughts?

It`s actually a nice polish that leaves a very nice finish. One of the surprises is that it`s not only a good hand polish but can also be used by a PC for quicker and easier work. If you`re interested I can sell you 8oz of it for $4.00 plus shipping. I bought a 32 ounce bottle and will last me a life time. I`ll toss in a small sample of Megs 21 also.

PRB
09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Does 5 fill scratches and hide swirls?

The paint was excellent when I applied 5 so didnt really see a difference.

M05 was originally designed as a product that could go on and off quickly. It provides a wash or rainstorm`s worth of protection by itself on a new paint finish that can`t take wax yet. It works exceptionally well in humid temperatures where M07 and even M03 can be cumbersome to remove.

On base/clear finishes in good shape, I don`t find that M05 adds much or anything to the look. M81 is a bit glossier, but still doesn`t add a whole lot in many cases.

Accumulator
09-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I find that all the Meg`s "pure polishes" do a little concealing, including #5 (which probably does the least of `em all). #7 does it the best.

Crusader101
09-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I have used M81 before applying M26 with terrific results...that however, is on my 1984 with original paint. I think Meguiar`s makes excellent products which probably work best and coincide better with older cars.

PRB
09-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I find that all the Meg`s "pure polishes" do a little concealing, including #5 (which probably does the least of `em all). #7 does it the best.

Accumulator and I have joined in other discussions about Meguiar`s M05. It`s one of their forgotten products, in my mind.

I removed a phrase from my earlier reply beacause it sounded a bit too extreme.

M05 does offer a bit of concealing, but it`s not one of those heavy filler products that will hide key scratches or horrible compounding swirl marks. Even M07 won`t make the nasty stuff go away, but it does wonders for the very finest marks.

I saw a fair amount of both M07 and 3M Imperial Hand Glaze being applied for this reason at the Auburn Fall Auction a few weeks ago.

JeffM
09-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I would use nxt to conceal, then top it with something with some beef.

PRB
09-09-2007, 01:25 PM
I have used M81 before applying M26 with terrific results...that however, is on my 1984 with original paint. I think Meguiar`s makes excellent products which probably work best and coincide better with older cars.

Use that M26 on one of today`s finishes and you`ll be equally satisfied.

I don`t have any problem using Meguiar`s on modern finishes as well as on older surfaces. Sometimes it gets that reputation because the line has been around for a while, but they do still make some excellent products.

imported_wagsjr
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I have been getting some people who just dont want to pay for machine cleaning on their paint. I thought some clay, maybe 81, then 20 and 26. I work on moslty 3-5 year old stuff.

If it puts the richness and glossiness back to the paint they are happy. Most dont care about the cobwebing which makes me crazy

Accumulator
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I have been getting some people who just dont want to pay for machine cleaning on their paint. I thought some clay, maybe 81, then 20 and 26. I work on moslty 3-5 year old stuff.

If it puts the richness and glossiness back to the paint they are happy. Most dont care about the cobwebing which makes me crazy

I know exactly what you mean, and I dunno if the Meg`s pure polish route is the way I`d go. Ditto for the #21 topped with #26.

For the same amount of effort (well, maybe a *little more than with #5, is *anything* that easy?) you could use a product like 1z MP or WPS, or maybe Autoglym SRP, just top with a good wax (e.g., Collinite 845) and I bet both you and your customers would both be happier. Didn`t mean to poke your process with a stick, but I`m all for easier approaches that leave everyone happy.

PRB- Looks like we`re in more complete agreement now :D Yeah, I always toss out my $0.02 about good ol` #5!

Heh heh, old products...my family has used #16 since the 1950s and I`m still using it on my wife`s Audi :D