PDA

View Full Version : Streaking with 845IW.

Pages : [1] 2

VTechFan02
09-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I did a full two step polish on my car recently and am using Collinite 845IW for my LSP. I am very pleased with the look of it but I am having streaking problems.

So far I have used it twice and both times it streaked upon removal. I think the first time I applied it slightly too thick but today I applied again, this time as thin as I could while still getting in on the car, and it still streaked upon removal.

I am applying via UDM with a 5" Blue LC CCS pad on speed 2.5-3. I did the entire car before removing to allow it to haze but I have to say it didn`t really dry to a haze. Still seemed fairly wet after about 30 minutes. I am using plush MFs (Danase Phat towels) to remove (used about 3 or 4 of them).

The only idea I have is that both times I applied, it was about 92 degrees out and humid. I am thinking that these conditions are not allowing the wax to haze. By the way, I am working in my garage on cool paint.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank

Bigpoppa3346
09-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Was the bottle shaken up properly? It should take a fair amount of shaken to get it into it`s proper state. It should look like a thin liquid coming out of the bottle.

The humidity probably played a role as well. I would either wait until the next wash, at which point it should be removed, or use a QD and see if that helps.

VTechFan02
09-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks Bigpoppa3346. I did shake the bottle pretty thoroughly and yes, it was a thin, oily liquid. I will be removing the streaks tomorrow via quick detailer and then an application of AW.

I am just trying to figure out how to prevent it in the future as I love this wax!

VTechFan02
09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions??

jimmie jam
09-08-2007, 10:53 PM
most problems with 845 stem from applying to heavily. when you think that you aren`t using enough product.. that`s about right. JMHO from 33 years of using it.

Setec Astronomy
09-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I`m not sure what you mean by streaking. Do you mean there are areas of hazed wax that are hard to remove? Or that there are areas that look darker than other areas but don`t appear to have any residue?

Accumulator
09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Without more info (e.g., an answer to setec astromomy`s Q ), I`d agree that it sounds like too much product. I try to use it like a sealant, so thin I can`t really see it on the paint.

I`d give it a wash and QD during the drying.

VTechFan02
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I would say that the streaking was following the lines my fingers were making with the MF`s as I was wiping it off. I could see these thin lines forming where I was pressing fairly hard to remove the wax. The lines are darker then the surrounding paint and only seemed to happen on the horizontal panels, though it is very possible that I just didn`t notice it happening on the vertical ones.

Today I went back over the whole car with some ONR QD and then followed with AW, but the lines remained (but the paint looks fantastic other then that). I remember last time that the lines disappeared after my next wash so I hope that is the case here. It seems that there is a very light oily residue all over the paint both before I used the AW and and after it. With light shining on the surface, I can take my finger and swipe it across the paint and see it smearing. I guess I will just wait until next weekend when I wash to be rid of it.

Anyway, I am hoping that your suggestions will help me hone my technique to apply this excellent wax.

Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.

-Frank

VTechFan02
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I still seam to think that maybe the heat and humidity was affecting the wax. Does 845 `haze` or does it simply just sit there? Also, before I removed the wax I tried the finger swipe test to see if it was ready to come off but both times I tried it it did not come clean and that was after 30 minutes.

mikebai1990
09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I think the problem was a combination of a slightly thick application and also the heat/humidity. I also used to find that I had hazing after I used Collinite which would disappear after a good wash. Since then, I`ve applied thinly, and haven`t seemed to have any of those problems anymore.

Usually the wax pretty much dries after 30 minutes. It should haze slightly, but it`s not too visible if you are applying thin enough. But with the high humidity, I could imagine the wax not drying off sufficiently.

Kewjoe
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
When applying via PC any suggestions on how many drops on the pad? pre and post prime

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
As Accumulator alluded to, you need so little of this product it just seems to melt into the paint and disappear. If you`ve had to apply a lot of pressure to remove, it sounds like you`re using way too much.

Accumulator
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
..it sounds like you`re using way too much.

Yeah, that`s how I read it too. I hope it sorts itself out with the next regular wash, but next time try using a *LOT* less. I can`t say how much to use, for some reason I just don`t take note of such stuff :o but one bottle of 845 lasts me for years and years, and I really only use it on big vehicles and wheels (many applications on the wheels).

Bigpoppa3346
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I`ve had this issue before, and it`s been because I didn`t wait long enough to take it off and over applied it. Don`t know why I didn`t mention this in my previous post. :o

3puttjay
09-10-2007, 02:37 PM
When I have applied too thickly, I found that a QD helps a lot in the removal. I usually let the collinite set up overnight as well. I found that I really don`t need to wipe off the wheels after application, it comes off with the next wash. I`m pretty lazy and find that putting on too little 845 is so much better than putting on too much. Thats why I just load up the pad with a little 845 and do not add any more to it during waxing. I find that it is easier to come back with another coat the next day than to struggle taking off a thick layer.:grinno: