PDA

View Full Version : hard to remove paint contamination

pne
09-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I recently purchased a used car and I`ve been trying to restore the paint. Unfortunately I have my work set out for me since it is a black paintjob with quite a few swirls in it. After washing I noticed that there is some kind of contamination on the paint surface, in the form of tiny white specks. I tried claybar and while it picked up dirt and the other grime it did not remove the white specks. They are stuck on there pretty well and I`m not quite sure how to get it off. I have tried rubbing compound and it does work, but I`d like to check if theres a better way to go about it?

PRB
09-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Not sure what grade clay you`re using, but a more aggressive bar will sometimes work on things that the consumer grade and even mild bars do not remove.

David Fermani
09-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you have a good case of paint overspray that`s been on your car for a long time. Heavy clay, thinner and/or sandpaper might be your only options.

imported_themightytimmah
09-08-2007, 09:09 PM
A plastic razor blade and a willingness to polish afterwards will do it. Ultra-high (4000) grit sandpaper might be a better choice.