PDA

View Full Version : Body shop estimated this damage at over $800... am I getting ripped off? (photos)

Pages : [1] 2

danforz
09-08-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/get-attachment_aspx.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/get-attachment_aspx2.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/get-attachment_aspx3.jpg

Hey guys, as I mentioned before I rear ended someone and caused some damage. Body shop is suggesting that it`ll cost over $800 to fix this. I`m curious what your estimates are?

As one addition bit of information, after I hit her she mentioned that the scrape towards the center wasn`t my damage, though I don`t know how something like that will play out when the accident was indeed my fault and their probably going to get all the damage fixed.

imported_Detailing Technology
09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
WAY TOO HIGH.

Is the alignment of the bumper still correct? If so, I cant imagine paying more than $400 to have that repainted. He needs to spray VERY little color on that, and of course he will clear the entire bumper.

Ron Harris
09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
If the Body Shop is going to replace the bumper then I think the price is good.

If there going to over haul it then you may have damaged some parts behind the bumper you cant see. The damage close to the trunk on the edge is a time consuming repair. The bumper has basically been folded there. They will have to strip it and use heat to reshape the bumper in that area and probably use a little filler. Let the insurance company`s duke it out.

DaGonz
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
What you are looking at is chips in the paint and stress cracks from the impact.

It`s What is behind the plastic bumper cover is what counts. The materials used to absorb the impact may be compromised, the bumper shocks may need replacing, and the labor to remove, repair and.or replace plus paintwork prep , the cost of the paint, flex agents, labor involved and hazmat disposal fees can easily run the bill for repair up to $800.

When my wife had her 1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport wagon, she got tapped by a car in her workplace`s parking lot. She thought there was no damage and that I wouldn`t notice...

The damage was $1200. The entire rear bumper assembly needed to be replaced.

nyczyang27
09-08-2007, 02:14 PM
One of my cars got rear ended and the damage was something like that but a little more severe as in more paint cracks. The bodyshop charged the insurance company $875 for everything. I`m not sure if they replaced the bumper or whatever they did to it.

HollaGeo
09-08-2007, 03:36 PM
It`s a BMW. High prices come with the territory.

SpoiledMan
09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Looks like the pictures are of a Honda Accord.

David Fermani
09-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Danford - Give me the make, model and year of your car and I`ll tell how much it should cost. Does the shop want to repair or replace the bumper cover?

imported_Detailing Technology
09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
David - I think that cover is over 8 bucks.

Whats that a 530i? R and R a bumper cover, how many hours?

45calmike
09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
seems about right they would probably find some other stuff after the teardown. if you`re going through your insurance they will cost control the labor and parts. if your car is fairly new about 2 years old and under certain mileage you will most likely get OEM rather than LKQ parts.

David Fermani
09-08-2007, 04:25 PM
David - I think that cover is over 8 bucks.

Whats that a 530i? R and R a bumper cover, how many hours?

Do we know what kind of car this is? A rear cover for a 535I is $450 just the part itself.

SpoiledMan
09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
It`s an `05-06 Honda Accord sedan. V6 if it matters.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/evox/stills/gallery/2990_10.jpg

Pauly6401
09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I just got an entire new hood put on my Ford ZX2, along with the bumper removed and both were repainted with 2 stage paint (color and clear) with the respray blended into the front fenders. The whole thing came out to $900 including tax. If they don`t have to replace any parts, I can`t imagine how it would cost that much. The hood for my car was $250, the rest was in labor and paint.

This is in Florida.

David Fermani
09-08-2007, 05:57 PM
1st off, I feel (based on the pictures) that the bumper is repairable(properly). The cost to replace it with a brand new OEM rear bumper cover is about $625 complete. The bumper cover itself is $315. You could easily use a reconditioned OEM bumper through someone like Keystone and save $80 for the same thing. Unless the shop removed the bumper to access all the damage, $800 is way too much.

mikebai1990
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Gosh, look at that marring!