PDA

View Full Version : Set me straight on the menzerna line

imported_wagsjr
09-07-2007, 09:54 PM
What are the best pad and product combos start to finish with menzerna products and LC pads. I think I have posted before but I am asking again.

Want to do my truck start to finish. Wont need to compound though.

So if I get some Intensive Polish, Final POlish and finishing glaze it should pretty much tackle any job? I am going to accompany it with LC pads although I have an arsenal of Megs pads.

I do have megs 84 and 85 as well as 3m new heavy cut compound.

In terms of megs- Menz Ip would be =83

and menz fp would be like 80? I also saw I think micro or nano polish? Would it be worth picking those up.

Megs was easy 83,80 and done. Could never get the 80 to finish down on the rotary though. NEver tried the 9000 series pad with 82 though either.

Thanks guys.

I also have a rotary and pc.

SVR
09-08-2007, 01:10 AM
IP - LC yellow, orange and even white sometimes

FP - white, black and even blue

Not sure about the glaze

The micro and nano polishes provide a much higher quality results.

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 10:37 AM
How about in terms of polishes. If I was to get the 2 new polishes and the finishing glaze would I not need the Ip anf Fp. Looking in terms of saving money.

And with the LC pads each provides a little more cut than the next. Never used those either. I do like Megs and usually if the 8000 left some swirls the 9000 took care of business. They would be ok to use also?

I do want to try new things though

imported_Dave KG
09-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Megs was easy: #83, #80, done... Menzerna is like this too as there are two key products that you can pick out that will cover you for many possibilities you`re likely to meet this side of heavy compounding.

Menzerna PO85RD3.0x Intensive Polish - equivalent to #83, this is the medium abrasive polish, apply using a polishing pad or if really needed, a cutting pad though I dont tend to get any more aggressive than polishing pad unless I really have to.

Menzerna PO106FF/PO106FF - equivalent to #80, the light abrasive polish, and you`re finishing step on a finishing pad, or for light swirls on a polishing pad (generic, as all paints differ and so to do the required pad and polish combos).

One thing to note with these Menzerna polishes - they were designed to be used in controlled conditions, on specific types of paints. Out of these controlled conditions and the polishes can begin to perform poorly as they were not designed for the ambient conditions... They use a wax as part of the lubricant to carry the abrasives, this is sensitive to both heat and humidity. Its something many detailers, myself included, in the UK have been having problems with and as a result I have switched back to having #83/#80 as my main polishes as I find them more reliable and with honed technique, equivalent in the finish and correction. The Menzernas, when they are performing, are the easier of the two to use and are superb - but out of their range of working conditions, they can turn on you by flashing and caking as the lubricants cant cope ideally with the temperature or humidity.

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Wold u say that 80 and FP offer the same results when finished. I have gotten close to perfecting the rotary with 80. I am going to try adjusting speeds to get it perfect. I think around 1400 on a 9000 pad will be my key.

I just hear so much talk of menzerna and megs seems to be switching more to your consumer than ur pro shop.

imported_Dave KG
09-09-2007, 11:21 AM
From the problems I`ve had with Menz on occassions, I switched back to Megs and find myself able to match the finishes I was getting with the Menz which was for me, ultimately their strong suit.

The Meguiars #80-series a very excellent cutting and fine finishing polishes, capable of crystal sharp clarity...

Here`s an example of a car I finished using #83:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/94494-jaguar-s-type-full-detail.html

And a car finished with #80:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/96530-porsche-911-gt3.html

By way of comparison, here`s a car where Final Finish was used as the finishing polish:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/78690-porsche-996-gt2.html

Hard to ultiamtely tell from the pics, but for me, the #80-series is more than a match for most other polishes out there on the market in the right hands...

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Phenomenal bro. And that was all rotary work correct. Ur work is top notch. Not really seeing a difference between the menz and megs.

Thanks for your help. Saved me some money and a lot of trial and error and time.

What do you think as far as polishes. Like my own vehicle for example. Just did an exterior overhaul about 3 months ago and not ready for a machine yet. I put a post about 81 but looking for a good hand polish to fill the scrathces for the time being.

imported_Dave KG
09-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Yep, all rotary correction and finishing. Cheers for the kind words. :)

For a hand polish I actually use Autoglym Super Resin Polish as this seems to be packed with fillers and it gives a lovely improvement to light to medium swilrs with effective filling so this would be worth looking into... Or, Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 I find the be very filler heavy and good at filling by hand.

imported_wagsjr
09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks again