PDA

View Full Version : 1Z Einszett Extra Paint Cleaner question

tCspool
09-07-2007, 03:18 PM
According to a post I found here:

Description of Extra Paintwork Cleaner:

If your paintwork is old, heavily oxidized or contains severe blemishes, Extra is the polish for you. A special cutting polish that removes heavy oxidation and reduces swirl marks while restoring depth and gloss. Extra produces a weather-resistant and streak-free finish. Special silicone ensures a long-lasting shine. Not recommended for use on new cars with clear coat.

I was thinking of picking up this product to get some minor surface scratches out - but it appears that it may be too abrasive for a new car such as mine? Opinions or alternate product suggestion?

Accumulator
09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
It`s a matter of a manufacturer doing a CYA disclaimer. 1Z would rather not advocate an approach that *might* cause problems in some rare, isolated cases.

Plenty of us have used Ultra/Extra on new cars with clearcoats. Yeah, it`s abrasive and will usually leave micromarring, but the same is true of many aggressive products.

Mike at 1Z has admitted that he`s used it on clearcoats and he came *very* close to agreeing with my initial statement above; I believe that the only reason he didn`t come right out and say "yeah, that`s why we say that" is because it would violate the company`s policy.

He once said "yeah, PP by rotary oughta fix that problem, and I`m *sure* that Ultra would fix it". He was referring to marred clear on a newer vehicle.

Would I use Ultra on the new BMW stupid-soft clear? Probably not. But I`ve used it many times on other clearcoats and it`s very handy stuff. It`s simply one of the *VERY* few strong abrasives that will break down OK by hand and that makes it perfect for serious marring in places that you can`t reach with a machine`s pad. Just remember that it`s a *first step* and will need that follow up, and only use it if PP doesn`t solve the problem after a few passes.

To be perfectly honest, IMO it`s not all *that* abrasive anyhow, even though it sure feels *and even sounds* like liquid sandpaper :D

imported_Bence
09-07-2007, 07:06 PM
It`s a matter of a manufacturer doing a CYA disclaimer. 1Z would rather not advocate an approach that *might* cause problems in some rare, isolated cases.

Plenty of us have used Ultra/Extra on new cars with clearcoats. Yeah, it`s abrasive and will usually leave micromarring, but the same is true of many aggressive products.

Mike at 1Z has admitted that he`s used it on clearcoats and he came *very* close to agreeing with my initial statement above; I believe that the only reason he didn`t come right out and say "yeah, that`s why we say that" is because it would violate the company`s policy.

He once said "yeah, PP by rotary oughta fix that problem, and I`m *sure* that Ultra would fix it". He was referring to marred clear on a newer vehicle.

Would I use Ultra on the new BMW stupid-soft clear? Probably not. But I`ve used it many times on other clearcoats and it`s very handy stuff. It`s simply one of the *VERY* few strong abrasives that will break down OK by hand and that makes it perfect for serious marring in places that you can`t reach with a machine`s pad. Just remember that it`s a *first step* and will need that follow up, and only use it if PP doesn`t solve the problem after a few passes.

To be perfectly honest, IMO it`s not all *that* abrasive anyhow, even though it sure feels *and even sounds* like liquid sandpaper :D

I have to agree. I`m using the Intensive Paste which is basically the body shop version of the Extra, but its characteristics are the same.

Accumulator
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I`m using the Intensive Paste which is basically the body shop version of the Extra, but its characteristics are the same.

Are you still using the Intensive Paste?

It always sounded like a thicker version of the Ultra/Extra, without the wax content.

percynjpn
09-09-2007, 07:50 AM
It`s simply one of the *VERY* few strong abrasives that will break down OK by hand and that makes it perfect for serious marring in places that you can`t reach with a machine`s pad.

Accumulator has summed up Extra perfectly, I think - ease of use by hand, and the fact that it feels soooo abrasive, even though it`s less aggressive than you`d expect.

imported_Bence
09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Accumulator, yes, even after other hypes, I`m still using it. It can be a little dusty, but it leaves a nice finish and I simply like the way it spreads and develops its buffing film.

Using it with a high speed short throw DA always produces wonderful results, even on plastics, so why change? :)

Accumulator
09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Bence- Thanks for the response. I wondered if something else might`ve replace it for you.