PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever forget how good you are?

violentveedub
09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I`m not tooting my own horn here as I`m sure there are plenty better... BUT;

Since I`m a weekend warrior, just doing jobs on the side, I don`t pick up the buffer for months at a time sometimes. Right now my car hasn`t bee polished in about 4 months and I haven`t done any real correction since then either.

I tend to get nervous at this point when someone calls me up for a job(and this weekend I have 3. Typically within a few minutes of starting a job I have to kick back and just say wow, this is turning out really well! I`m constantly surprising myself with my skill level, especially now that I`m more comfortable w/ the rotary...

Does anyone else get this way? Or is it just me? :nervous2:

Adam's Polishes
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Agreed. I sometimes think I`m a little too critical of my work.... as I`m still just using a PC and limited to the level of correction I can pull off I`ll spend tons of time on a customers car, to me its still not perfect, but they`ll be blown away by how it looks... I guess spending time on autopia tends to set your standards a little high :har:

coupe
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I dont understand this thread

violentveedub
09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I was just saying it`s a skill that doesn`t get used a lot (in my case). When you are called upon to use it, you get surprised at your retention and application of it.

Like using a Math formula you learned years ago...

Or, in the case of the poster above you don`t feel you are as good as people`s perceptions of you. In the end you look at the final product and realize, well, I am as good as they think.

It`s just something that came through my head and I wondered if others had felt that way. If you don`t then disregard.

felthove
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I dont understand this thread

Pretty lame response IMO. Many of the threads that I read and don`t participate in aren`t relevant to me but I don`t jump in to say it`s nonsense.

BigAl3
09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I`m constantly surprising myself with my skill level, especially now that I`m more comfortable w/ the rotary...

Does anyone else get this way? Or is it just me? :nervous2:

i know what you mean... the more you practice something, the better and more comfortable you get. practice makes perfect... :2thumbs:

94BlkStang
09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Pretty lame response IMO. Many of the threads that I read and don`t participate in aren`t relevant to me but I don`t jump in to say it`s nonsense.

He said he didn`t understand it, not that it was nonsense.

Crusader101
09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
It becomes a skill that the vast majority of general car enthusiasts do not possess, much less the overall public. The internet and at least for me, this forum in particular, have given us detailing enthusiasts a means to learn technique and access to products previously unattainable. I surprised myself in the results I acheived using a PC for the first time a couple days ago...my neighbor was stunned as was I. :grinno:

coupe
09-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I ussually sit back and thing....dang i gotta go around the car like this 3 more times :lol

Bigpoppa3346
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I ussually sit back and thing....dang i gotta go around the car like this 3 more times :lol

LOL...that`s how I think too.

I never really think about how good I am, I always think about how I can improve.

imported_smprince1
09-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I never really think about how good I am, I always think about how I can improve.

:werd:

The more I know the more I need to learn. However, I find this forum to be an excellent means to that end. :)