PDA

View Full Version : Does QD too much result to shorter LSP life?

Macruz19
09-07-2007, 06:19 AM
I always wonder since I often QD my car all the time. Although I still do a weekly wash I tend to QD every other day (when there`s no rain). I know washing a lot will shorten the lifespan of the LSP, but I do know that a QD has some protection and it enhances the shine.

My question is, if everytime I do a QD wipedown often, will this shorten the lifespan of the LSP?

Pros: Clean, and shiny car..... till it rains :D

Cons: Chance of marring (my car is 85% swirl free, and my hood is completly swirl free :)

I`m not afraid to add swirls, since I will use a PC eventually to get them out.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/macruz19/zaino.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/macruz19/tldirt4.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/macruz19/tl10.jpg

Setec Astronomy
09-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I guess it depends on the QD, how much cleaning action it has vs. how much protection and whether the net effect is positive or negative. More wiping would seem to be a negative effect on the LSP. Say you apply your LSP, and buff off the residue (presuming you are using one of those old fashioned, non-WOWA LSP`s...LOL). If you keep buffing (for hours), presumably you would buff off the LSP back down to the bare paint. So wiping would be bad...but if you are wiping with a slick QD...are you really effecting the LSP? To many variables for an easy conclusion.

Macruz19
09-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I`m using Z-6 and JW QW. After washes I tend to use Z-8. All of the above are slick after the wipedown, but it`s hard to really come to a conclusion since there`s different possiblities.

TGates
09-07-2007, 09:46 AM
If the QD has a low or no alcohol content, I would say quite the opposite is true.

violentveedub
09-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Since I use AW as my LSP and I use DG 921 as my QD I doubt it. DG actually says FC&S bonds to the AW.

Accumulator
09-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I`m in the "it all depends" camp on this one.

Using a QD on a not-perfectly-clean car almost *has* to cause some minor mechanical friction-effect, so even if the QD doesn`t do a solvent-action, IMO it`s still gonna have some detrimental effect on the LSP. How much... :nixweiss

Also, I`ve found that, much to my surprise, frequent (very gentle) washing sometimes seems to make my LSPs last *longer* :eek: IIRC ScottWax has found this too. Gotta be using the right shampoo/LSP combo, and there`s probably a practical limit to this, but generally I don`t find that, for example, gentle use of Griot`s Car Wash has *any* real effect on, say, KSG or even Collinite 476S. OTOH, a strong wash with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo will compromise Souveran right away.

And using the right QD (as in, right for the LSP) after every wash doesn`t seem to compromise LSP durability either. But I`ve used #34 on a finish that was *almost* dead/in need of rewaxing, and the #34 killed it off....so, well, it just depends.

Macruz19
09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys for the response.

I emailed Sal earlier about this subject, and he replies: No... use z-6 as often as you like...

ricka
09-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I QD all the time between washes and have not experienced any marring--although I have light silver metallic paint so its hard to show anyway. I use FC&S (the marine 521) with an oz of AW mixed in.

Always leaves a nice slick shiny look.