PDA

View Full Version : Applying Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845

Pages : [1] 2

tCspool
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
What is the best applicator to apply the Collinite Wax? I`m purchasing the UDM, but not sure if the wax should be applied with the machine or by hand? And even if the UDM is ok for applying, there will be spots that require hand applying such as the mirrors so what product should I do this with to be safe?

Thanks!

ron231
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I put it on by machine because although it is very easy to apply (goes on like oil) it will not be easy to remove if you put it on too thick. A machine helps get a thin, even coat which translates to easy removal.

imported_smprince1
09-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I apply by hand via a foam applicator. Goes on very easy. A little goes a long way and it works best spread out very thinly.

jmorton10
09-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Although I have both a UDM & a 7424, I apply 845 by hand. It is simple to apply & quite easy to remove in most applications.

~John

DTailN
09-07-2007, 07:00 AM
I used it for the first time this weekend and applied it with a 4" grey Lake Country finishing pad and a PC. Went on great (like Ron said like oil) and came off much easier than I was expecting.

Hey, Moe!
09-07-2007, 07:09 AM
I apply it by hand with a foam pad, but the PC/UDM method is fine, too. As long as you don`t get it too thick, you`ll be OK.

Setec Astronomy
09-07-2007, 07:35 AM
This comes down to personal preference, but I always apply it by hand. Using a machine for an LSP like this just seems too much work. It goes on very easily (and it is very cool, it kind of just melts into the paint, at least the pre-VOC version does).

tCspool
09-07-2007, 08:14 AM
I`ll do it by hand since I`ve always applied wax that way in the past - this way I get a better feel of any defects in my detail job.

Are there specific foam applicators that are recommended - or can I just go to an Autozone or Pepboys and pick up an OTS product?

imported_smprince1
09-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Are there specific foam applicators that are recommended - or can I just go to an Autozone or Pepboys and pick up an OTS product?

I just use the Megs ones or whatever Autozone has on the rack. As long as they are clean any foam should work fine.

paul34
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Be careful not to put too much on - I`ve had trouble wiping it off my tC in those cases.

BTW, just to let you know, Collinite, while very durable and quite decent looking, does "mute" the flake in our paints.

And by applicator we mean the foam applicators. They`re usually yellow.

deathlok
09-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I use yellow meguiars applicators to apply by hand.

Accumulator
09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
BTW, just to let you know, Collinite, while very durable and quite decent looking, does "mute" the flake in our paints..

Seems to mute some paints more than others :think: Doesn`t do it much at all on my pewter metallic Blazer, but *does* do it in a pretty big way on my graphite metallic Yukon :nixweiss

wannafbody
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
*IMO* any carnauba wax probably mutes flake a bit since it is opaque(maybe even yellow) and not totally clear

tCspool
09-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Be careful not to put too much on - I`ve had trouble wiping it off my tC in those cases.

BTW, just to let you know, Collinite, while very durable and quite decent looking, does "mute" the flake in our paints.

And by applicator we mean the foam applicators. They`re usually yellow.

ok this is a big downer -

I love the flake in my car and do not want to mute it at all - I`ll start a new thread asking for suggestions on the best wax for my type of paint.

Thanks for all the responses though, I think I`ll use this on my other car.

RCBuddha
09-08-2007, 12:58 AM
What is the best applicator to apply the Collinite Wax? I`m purchasing the UDM, but not sure if the wax should be applied with the machine or by hand? And even if the UDM is ok for applying, there will be spots that require hand applying such as the mirrors so what product should I do this with to be safe?

Thanks!

I found 845 to apply *Ridiculously* easily with my Cyclo. For whatever reason, I found it applies much thinner with the two orbital heads vs. the one of the PC. For tight or small spots, apply by hand. I like MF applicators for hand use, but foamies work just as well. Good luck!