PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think that we QD too much?

Pages : [1] 2

Paulie Walnuts
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I was thinking about this this morning when I was QDing my Maxima and I hit a spot where I did not spray enough Z6 on it and my MF kind of grabbed. I wonder how much micromaring we are causing at times because we dont use enough product. I know that when I use Poorboys Spray and Wipe I douse the panels pretty good.

Ern
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Ive done that and wonder that in the past as well.

Alfisti
09-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, some of you guys QD too much IMHO. The more often you touch your paint, the more often it will marr. Touch less, marr less. Simple. :)

Paulie Walnuts
09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep, some of you guys QD too much IMHO. The more often you touch your paint, the more often it will marr. Touch less, marr less. Simple. :)

Yeah but I want my car to look clean almost everyday and I cant wash everyday. I guess I have to accept the maring and just polish twice a year.

mgm2003
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
The only time that I QD is when drying off a vehicle after washing or after using a polish or LSP. I like having some lube between my towel and the paint.

When I test products, and don`t QD, it drives me nuts.

I don`t QD dusty, dirty, etc... paint, because no matter how careful, you will pick up a degree of marring.

Alfisti
09-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah but I want my car to look clean almost everyday and I cant wash everyday.

Drive someone else`s car and keep yours garaged. :laugh:

94BlkStang
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah but I want my car to look clean almost everyday and I cant wash everyday. I guess I have to accept the maring and just polish twice a year.

I agree. I`ll sacrifice a possibility of a little marring for a clean and shiny car any time I can. When the weather is nice I will QD constantly and can go for quite awhile without washing. Owning a black car, washing can be very tricky and will induce more problems than QD`ing.

violentveedub
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Owning a black car, washing can be very tricky and will induce more problems than QD`ing.

I agree with this. There is about a 2 hour window during the day where I can touch my car w/o getting burned. Often times I have other stuff to do.

Also that window is closing slowly... it`s getting darker sooner and I fear the darkness...

imported_Indy YZF
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I was thinking about this this morning when I was QDing my Maxima and I hit a spot where I did not spray enough Z6 on it and my MF kind of grabbed. I wonder how much micromaring we are causing at times because we dont use enough product. I know that when I use Poorboys Spray and Wipe I douse the panels pretty good.

Thats one of the reasons I always Cal Duster my car first. Before I get attacked, I only use the Duster when i have a light coating of dust on it.. If I have `dirt`, I dont use it. But typically, in the communal garage in which I park, one day of parking and no dust accumulates.. Two or more, and I will be able to detect some very light dusting. I never press on the duster; I just let the red cotton strands gently `dangle` across the surface. Does a good job of removing whatever dust is there without micromarring. .. Ive done this routine enough, and always under the strong lights, so that I can say with confidence that it causes no scratching when used properly.. . Then I follow that up with the QD. Its worked well for me.

Paulie Walnuts
09-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Thats one of the reasons I always Cal Duster my car first. Before I get attacked, I only use the Duster when i have a light coating of dust on it.. If I have `dirt`, I dont use it. But typically, in the communal garage in which I park, one day of parking and no dust accumulates.. Two or more, and I will be able to detect some very light dusting. I never press on the duster; I just let the red cotton strands gently `dangle` across the surface. Does a good job of removing whatever dust is there without micromarring. .. Ive done this routine enough, and always under the strong lights, so that I can say with confidence that it causes no scratching when used properly.. . Then I follow that up with the QD. Its worked well for me.

Oh yeah I do that too, I use the OXO version but it works just as well if not better.

94BlkStang
09-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Yep, that`s the method I use. I know there are those that are anti Cal Dusters, but I know my car looks much better after a quick Cal Duster followed up by a QD than just letting it sit and accumulate more dust. When it gets dirty, then I wash.

:cooleek:

Macruz19
09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I cali dust my car and do a quick wipe down of Z-6. I pretty much do this everyday after work. I just can`t help about having a clean car at all times.

As for marring, my TL is a daily driver, and doing a QD everyday doesn`t bother me. I do have occasional swirls, but it`s only visible to the autopian eye. Pretty much my car is at least 85% swirl free. My hood is 100% defect free, and I QD my hood the most. I still need to run the PC on my passenger door panels since I`ve never had the chance.

Oh, and QD is my best friend ;)

Ern
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
The only time that I QD is when drying off a vehicle after washing or after using a polish or LSP. I like having some lube between my towel and the paint.

When I test products, and don`t QD, it drives me nuts.

I don`t QD dusty, dirty, etc... paint, because no matter how careful, you will pick up a degree of marring.

Thats the only time I QD now. My past 2 or 3 cars have been black and qd does nothing but cuase me problems so I stopped. Never again after this car will I drive a black car lol

LazerRed1
09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I`ve quit Cal Dusting completely and QD only after a wash. I know it`s claimed if enough QD is used, no marring, however, pushing dust and dirt around just presents too big of a risk, for me anyway.

BlackElantraGT
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
None of the cars I take care of are garaged so I have never been much of a QD fan. I can live with a dusty car until its next wash (I try to wash it at least once a week, but it`s gone for longer periods before). Considering that we hardly get any rain here, on the rare occassion we do get some freak rainfall, that`s when the car gets way too dirty for my liking. Since we have much more air pollution than most areas and not enough rainstorms to "clean" the air, any rainfall that we do get is much dirtier than the typical rainfall in most areas.