PDA

View Full Version : Water Restriction

Pages : [1] 2

imported_weekendwarrior
09-06-2007, 06:23 AM
We are on water restriction due to drought conditions. I typically handwash my cars with the 2 bucket method. Residential carwashing has been banned for now. The best I can do at the moment is to drive a car through the no touch car wash, then use a quick detailer once I get it home. If I do this, will this kill my finish, or will I be ok using the quick detailer once I get home, after the car has been driven through the touchless?

Milestones
09-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Sounds like it`s time for you to try Optimum No Rinse (ONR).

You can still wash your car safely with ONR even with the water restrictions. I`ve been using ONR myself the past few weeks because of water restrictions in my area.

ONR allows you to safely clean your car using as little as 2 gallons of water and no need to rinse with a hose. You simply wipe a panel of your car with ONR solution and then dry each panel after cleaning it.

Do a search for "ONR" and you will find a wealth of information about this remarkable product.

imported_weekendwarrior
09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Unfortunately, I don`t own any ONR, and need to wash the car today or tomorrow (so, I don`t have time to order)...But, thank you for the suggestion.

Back to the original question - will driving a car through the touchless, then using the quick detailer for wiping down hurt the finish?

Milestones
09-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Is your paint dark colored or light colored?

If your paint is dark colored (especially black or dark blue) I would particularly recommend not doing a touchless wash then following up with a quick detailer. A touchless wash is still going to leave a fair amount of grit on the paint and there is too much risk of marring your paint in a way that will be painfully obvious on a dark color.

If you are desperate too make the car look better - just go through the touchless wash and leave it at that. It might not give you the ideal result you are seeking but it`s better than risking major marring.

Going back over the paint after a touchless wash is a recipe for serious marring IMO.

Milestones
09-06-2007, 07:10 AM
A waterless wash product like PB`s Spray and Wipe or Werkstatt`s Quick Wash would be a safer solution than using a QD because they are designed to provide greater lubrication and less risk of marring. I don`t know if you have either of those products on hand either though.

However, I still think you would be better off not attempting to finish the vehicle off with a spray cleaner after a touchless wash - especially if you have dark colored paint.

imported_weekendwarrior
09-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I think I will just take my car to the local spray off car wash very early in the morning, and wash by hand in a bay before they get busy (I will take my 2 buckets, MF drying towels, etc). I think this is the best solution.

Milestones
09-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Good call Weekend Warrior - better to be safe than sorry.

BigJimZ28
09-06-2007, 11:25 AM
some RV places sell QEW

mikebai1990
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, order the ONR now and take it to the wash bay. Next time when you need to wash again, you`ll be able to use the ONR!

spotter
09-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Where are you located? Someone could probably get some to you if can`t buy the QEW locally.

imported_weekendwarrior
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Where are you located? Someone could probably get some to you if can`t buy the QEW locally.

You know, that`s what I love about this site. I had heard of ONR, but not QEW. I know I can`t get ONR locally, but once I heard about QEW on this site, I was able to search the net, and found a local motorcycle shop that carries it. Going to pick some up this afternoon. Any suggestions/tricks on how to use this stuff?

mikebai1990
09-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Just read around. There is at least one good and thorough tutorial on how to use it.

ericfine50
09-07-2007, 04:02 PM
I have been using Chemical Guys ONE Waterless carwash. We have not gotten rain here for seveal weeks. I love the stuff.

mikebai1990
09-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I personally can`t justify the price of the ONE, though..

imported_smprince1
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Any suggestions/tricks on how to use this stuff?

http://autopia.org/forum/hall-fame/32078-qew-tutorial-not-56k-friendly-part-1-a.html

I`ve use this QEW in the winter and it is suprisingly effective, safe, and easy.