PDA

View Full Version : uh, whoops. Sort of melted my leather grain?

Pages : [1] 2

sdat1333
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
So, I found a steamer (just a small cheap one) sitting on a shelf, never used, so I thought I`d try it on my leather. I experimented on our leather couch and it did an awesome job of removing dirt with no bad effects, so I thought I should be good on the car leather too.

WRONG.

I ended up holding it on one section for two long and seem to have slightly melted the leather or coating or something to the point that the grain is a much more regular grid type pattern rather than the normal leather grain. This is on a seam right in the middle of the actual seat portion of the passenger seat.

Right now I`m waiting to see how noticeable it is in normal lighting conditions (aka not in the garage at 8pm), before I do anything. I have a feeling that in bright sun it will be really noticeable. Is there any way I can make something like this less noticeable? Any sort of product I can use to make the grain look a little more like it did before? I`m thinking that my only real option is to very carefully sand it so that it is completely smooth instead of the weird grid (will take pictures soon), and sort of fade between the smooth and the textured (right now its a sharp line).

I guess I can always try to find a seat from a junkyard and use the leater from that and pull off the old stuff and put on the new, but that has much more potential to mess up so I don`t think I`ll try that.

What do you guys suggest?

az57chevy
09-06-2007, 12:15 AM
What car? Are you sure it is leather? Maybe a vinyl ?

sdat1333
09-06-2007, 12:43 AM
It`s an 01 Volvo S60

From what I`ve read on different volvo forums, the side panels of the seat, and possibly the backs are vinyl, but the actual parts of the seat that you sit on are coated leather. This could of course be wrong, but I think it`s correct. It certainly smells and feels like leather, and although the sides and actual seat look the same, you can feel a little bit of a difference, which would reinforce the whole `vinyl sides` theory.

But I could just be imagining that last part.

EDIT: In any case, is there anything I could do? Perhaps a very thin layer of crack filler or something, imprinted with the leather grain and dyed to match?

imported_Jakerooni
09-06-2007, 07:34 AM
It`s an 01 Volvo S60

From what I`ve read on different volvo forums, the side panels of the seat, and possibly the backs are vinyl, but the actual parts of the seat that you sit on are coated leather. This could of course be wrong, but I think it`s correct. It certainly smells and feels like leather, and although the sides and actual seat look the same, you can feel a little bit of a difference, which would reinforce the whole `vinyl sides` theory.

But I could just be imagining that last part.

EDIT: In any case, is there anything I could do? Perhaps a very thin layer of crack filler or something, imprinted with the leather grain and dyed to match?

Not always but usually that`s the other way around. The sides and stuff are the real leather and you sit on the vinyl. And if you actually melted it you might just have to replace it.

kompressornsc
09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Not always but usually that`s the other way around. The sides and stuff are the real leather and you sit on the vinyl. And if you actually melted it you might just have to replace it.

Every car I`ve owned has had leather and the seat area is real leather and the sides are the vinyl. MB, Jeep, Honda, Acura are all that way.

Adam's Polishes
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Every car I`ve owned has had leather and the seat area is real leather and the sides are the vinyl. MB, Jeep, Honda, Acura are all that way.

All GM vehicles are that way as well... in some cases (like the trucks) the rear bench seat is 100% "simulated leather" :grrr

cgage
09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
All GM vehicles are that way as well... in some cases (like the trucks) the rear bench seat is 100% "simulated leather" :grrr

I had a good friend of mine tell me the only real leather he has seen has been the king ranch f150. Most of the leathers we see (real or not) are coated in vinyl or a similar coating.

sdat1333
09-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I may consider replacing just the actual cushion that is damaged if I can find it for not too much money, otherwise I will just try to make it a little less noticeable.

BigJimZ28
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM

that does not sound correct to me

why would they do that?

what cars do you think have it like that?

salty
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
sdat1333

Leather Master might have something for you. Leather care products - International - MULTIMASTER UNITERS Group (http://www.uniters.com/int/folder.php?cms_folder=48)

Very high end cars have uncoated leather. The big three (to my knowledge) all have coated with the exception of the King Ranch, as stated. That said, i have seen and read the King Ranch factory leather care product and it contains petroleum distillates. It might be even be a Leather Master product. Might be better than water based for uncoated leather?

salty
09-07-2007, 10:04 PM
The leather is always where you sit.

sdat1333
09-07-2007, 11:57 PM
yeah, i know my leather is coated. Like 99.9999% sure.

Salty: Thanks for the link, it appears that they have something that *might* help me. The grain copier. Maybe if I apply a very thin layer of the filler over the affected area, stamp the grain on, and dye, it will work. Or should I just leave it alone?

salty
09-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Thats up to you. If you can get a good pic post it.

sdat1333
09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok, here`s a couple pictures of the damage.

JasonD
09-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Just like the others said, it is rare to find "all leather" seats in a car these days. Even the $60,000 Mercedes my mother just bought came with something called MB Tex instead of leather, which was more money.

Most of the time, if you look at the details of the vehicle, it will say something like "leather seating surfaces."