PDA

View Full Version : What`s Nu Finish?

Pages : [1] 2

blackstrat5
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I`m new to detailing. I recently got a 2006 Volvo S40 and I have no idea how to care for it without messing anything up down the road. My father has been using Nu Finish, and I know it`s a polymer based finish. I didn`t know if that was alright to use on the car without messing up the clearcoat down the road. Are there any better products that may be less harmful, that give some shine, but are durable. I`m just looking for something real durable. If it is Nu Finish that I should go with, should I try polishing the car before applying Nu Finish. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Also, any siggestions for a good leather conditioner and cleaner?

dmcphee07SI
09-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Nu Finish isn`t that good, try collinite products, they look good and last 4 to 6 months.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Polishing is always a good idea before applying a sealant. NuFinish is a cleaner/sealant. It will remove light oxidation, tar, bug splatters due to its high content of solvent carriers. Its actually one of the better OTC products and has been around for many years! If your sticking with OTC products, Turtle Wax makes a really decent leather cleaner conditioner, as does the Mothers Reflections line. Edge Mothers.....consider Reflections polymer sealant while your browsing the shelves....

Junebug
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
I felt a disturbance in the FORCE Luke, a reply that didn`t thrash OTC products?! Thanks Patrick, that was refreshing.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
When I bought my truck from a friend of mine, he used NF, and that truck was pretty dang slick. I could just feel there was a nice thick layer of protection, and it lasted for quite some time afterwards. I know its NuFinish, but it was impressive for OTC! And he swore by the stuff!

AL-53
09-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Patrick is right..it is a very durable product..not a great looker but good enough...I did a few dump truck cabs a few years back..and I bought Nu Finish on clearence at a auto parts store...I used it on the trucks...it did a nice job on the paint and it was done in Nov just before plow season...it lasted the winter good....still looked good come spring...

Not a bad OTC product....

AL

blackstrat5
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Once I use Nu Finish on the car, is it possible to go back to a wax if I choose to without anything interracting and causing damage? For example, could you use Nu Finish to coat the car for winter, and then use wax during the summers, since it gets damn cold here during winter, and waxing in that isn`t much fun? On another note, what polish do you reccomend to use on a new 2006 volvo with pretty good paint before I use Nu Finish?

zingyginger
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
When I used it years ago, it stained black trim and clogged up my windshield washer nozzles. Have they changed the formulation since or does it still require masking off with tape?

Guy
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
My uncle used NF on his 81 copper colored Citation and over a period of time it turned the paint much darker,almost a brown color. After he switched to Megs gold class it slowly got the nice shiney copper color again.

On another note I just found a can of Autofom in my Dad`s cabinet in the basement. I remember using this years ago. It wasn`t to bad at the time. Memory lane here!

a.k.a. Patrick
09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Once I use Nu Finish on the car, is it possible to go back to a wax if I choose to without anything interracting and causing damage? For example, could you use Nu Finish to coat the car for winter, and then use wax during the summers, since it gets damn cold here during winter, and waxing in that isn`t much fun? On another note, what polish do you reccomend to use on a new 2006 volvo with pretty good paint before I use Nu Finish? You can certainly apply a wax atop it, but again, your better off polishing or cleaning the paint first for best looks. Not necessary, just kind of the preffered method here at Autopia.....

When I used it years ago, it stained black trim and clogged up my windshield washer nozzles. Have they changed the formulation since or does it still require masking off with tape? It probably wasnt the product itself. Its just one of those things you have to be careful with. There are way more products that arent trim firendly, then those that are. Just stay away from those areas. Get it close, but "dont touch".....(Or tape) http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/P9010488.jpg Taping doesnt take a heck of a lot of time.....

3wide
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
i use it on my chrome wheels. it`s a pretty strong cleaner so i think it`s a good product for that area. btw i`ve got the paste, next time i`ll buy the liquid. i think the paste is harder to get a thin even coat.

:usa

blackstrat5
09-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Someone told me about Turtle Wax`s "ICE" product, a synthetic blend of polymers, does anyone know how that holds up and shines?

mikebai1990
09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
The looks are so-so, durability is pretty bad. I`d go for something else.

AL-53
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Someone told me about Turtle Wax`s "ICE" product, a synthetic blend of polymers, does anyone know how that holds up and shines?

Now this is junk as a sealant....it has a good look but lasts about a wash or two or a rain....and can be tricky at times...streaking and smearing bad........lol..but makes a good trim product....it makes trim look good ....

AL

jmorton10
09-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Now this is junk as a sealant....it has a good look but lasts about a wash or two or a rain....and can be tricky at times...streaking and smearing bad........lol..but makes a good trim product....it makes trim look good ....

AL

LOL, that is EXACTLY how I would describe it myself. I bought some when it first came out to try on my black 06 Escape (all I use is Zaino on it now).

I now use it exclusively on black matt trim, it works great for that & doesn`t leave any white residue.

~John