PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice (still a newb)

littlemissGTO
09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
My friend has an 87 Grand National. When he sent it away to have some performance mods, the mechanic left the car sit under a tree.

This is what the paint looks like now:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/littlemissGTO/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/littlemissGTO/IMG_0009.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/littlemissGTO/IMG_0010.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/littlemissGTO/IMG_0011.jpg

What should I use to fix these issues? I tried using a clay bar to get rid of some of the leaf prints, but it didn`t work so well. Yes, some of the prints came out but good grief doing it by hand was a PITA.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

blackf0rk
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Time to get out the yellow pad. :D

littlemissGTO
09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
OK yellow pad and what else? Sorry I`m asking so many questions. I just want to do this job right cause he`s a good friend and I don`t want him to have to repaint the car, just to repaint it.

BlueLibby04
09-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Is that after a wash and clay? Gosh thats some messed up paint. Is that single stage paint?

Either way, what do you have to work with? Looks like it has some bad swirls/scratches so I would use #83 if it were me but I use megs. I MAY even use a cutting pad with the #83 then follow that with a polishing pad and #80..

Do you have a PC? Rotary?

blackf0rk
09-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I would do PB SSR 3 with Orange pad Followed by SSR2.5 with white pad, then SSR1 with black pad and see if that does anything. Otherwise it`s time to get crazy. From the pictures, it looks like single stage paint - which will be awesome for your pads :( I hate that. :nervous2:

Eliot Ness
09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Give it a good wash and clay and then see what it looks like....... might even try some bug/tar remover if that is sap on the paint. What pads and polishes/compounds do you currently have? There are a ton of good polishes out there and you might already have something that will work (and you`re familiar with) instead of buying some new products.

While you might have to get pretty aggressive with a pad/polish combo I would wait and see how it looks after the wash/clay/tar remover. Personally, I would start out with a mild polish/pad combo until you get a feel for how hard the paint is and what it will take to correct the defects that are left. It`s a lot easier to bump up the aggressiveness of your pad and/or polish if needed rather than start out too harsh and create unnecessary marring. Since it`s a good chance that might be a repaint I`d want to be a little cautious at first.

littlemissGTO
09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I`m purchasing a UDM and a pad kit to go with it. I haven`t decided on what other products to purchase. I`m liking the reviews of Poorboys. Since I bought my car new I`ve been using Zaino exclusively, but I`m not sure that Z-PC will be agressive enough for this job.

Eliot Ness
09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
.........I`m liking the reviews of Poorboys. Since I bought my car new I`ve been using Zaino exclusively, but I`m not sure that Z-PC will be agressive enough for this job.Poorboy`s make some good polishes, and the Optimum (http://store.danase.com/oppokit.html) line is very user friendly. Read around a bit here and you`ll find a lot of info on different polishes and compounds.

littlemissGTO
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I got to look at the car again today, and the last picture is water spots. I had to remember that the photographer is in a wheelchair.

I`m going to do another clay and try some bug/tar remover and go from there.

Thanks for all of the advice. I`ve got a nice little list built up of stuff to order. Kinda anxious to get my hands on a UDM and have a little fun with it.

littlemissGTO
09-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Wish me luck. I`m going to try to tackle this job in about an hour. I will get plenty of pics.

HeadnSouth
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Best of luck bringing that back.

How long did the car sit out under a tree for that to happen?

I`m a noob and still flip floping over which products to get. So far I have the UDM and Klasse AIO as a definite but still undecided on which pads. But I`m leaning more towards the Edge 2K after reading a bunch of threads.

SuperBee364
09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Wish me luck. I`m going to try to tackle this job in about an hour. I will get plenty of pics.

Good Luck! :)

If that is the original paint, it is single stage. The Grand National was my dream car back in the `80`s, and is still one of my all time favorites. I`d help you work on that car for free if you were closer. It`s a shame to see that paint so poorly treated. I hope your friend is getting the guy responsible to pay for the paint correction.

littlemissGTO
09-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Best of luck bringing that back.

How long did the car sit out under a tree for that to happen?

I`m a noob and still flip floping over which products to get. So far I have the UDM and Klasse AIO as a definite but still undecided on which pads. But I`m leaning more towards the Edge 2K after reading a bunch of threads.

I truly don`t know. I went with PoorBoys stuff and Zaino. I just started using the PoorBoys products and I`m very happy with how well they work.

littlemissGTO
09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Good Luck! :)

If that is the original paint, it is single stage. The Grand National was my dream car back in the `80`s, and is still one of my all time favorites. I`d help you work on that car for free if you were closer. It`s a shame to see that paint so poorly treated. I hope your friend is getting the guy responsible to pay for the paint correction.

Yeap, was the original single stage paint. My friend has 3 GN`s and a T-Type Regal. Then there are 10 other cars in his garage. I swear he`s got enough cars to keep me busy pretty much all summer. He wants to sell one of his GN`s. I detailed it as well and I can tell you that the paint is in EXCELLENT condition.

I posted results in the C&B section.